Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

F15Falcon Roller Spring Perches. WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Gun Jam

no his name is Day Scoval or something like that...He had something called Day's cars but everyone though it was pronounced daze cars...I think thats the story...

He is still MIA

-Gun
Old 04-10-2010, 05:16 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Daze clearly not opentracker. Daze is MIA as Gun said:
www.dazecars.com
bought shelby drop templates of him once, just very similar stuff he and the fella on ebay are making ;-)
Old 04-10-2010, 05:35 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Yeah opentracker is NOT the same as Daze.... two completely different companies/people.

I've never heard of "F15Falcon" roller perches, they sure look nice but I don't see how they will be any better than opentrackers or the like (and it doesn't seem to have come with the rubber insulators, the price is similar though). Let us all know how they fit and work when installed
Old 04-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Actually, they do come complete. I had new perches laying around so I sent them in to him. I pulled off the insulators and have them at my shop I'd like to get my hands on the other perches and do some side by side comparisons.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

I try to stay with the originator of the parts. Nothing like busting your *** in R&D to have it stolen by a backyard mechanic with no overhead or the chinese lol
Old 04-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Opentracker

Just to clear things up, Day and I are good friends along with being business people. We help each other out a lot on design and producing parts. He is a great guy and will bend over backwards to help anyone.

I was the first to produce a roller spring perch and put it on the market. Why it hadn't been done in the 40 years prior to that is still a mystery to me. They should have came from the factory with them IMO. I showed people how to make them from the start, produced DIY kits and I don't think of anyone selling them as competition. They make the cars safer to drive. The more of them there are on the road, the safer we all are.

It does say in the listing for the F1 perches that he started making them after seeing a set on a AMC racer years ago. I made my first set from my own idea's, having never seen or herd of them before. He didn't start selling them on ebay until 5-6 months after I did. I wish him well and he does produce a fine roller perch. We both have excellent feedback on them.

ORP is not my only job. It honestly started as a joke. I made a few sets and gave them to my friends and they all said I should do something with it, I said "no way, I have a good job". The requests kept coming in and it grew into ORP. Now I do it for fun and to make a few bucks to pay for the track time. It also allowes us to sponsor several pro race teams, donate a lot of parts to car clubs, car events, folks in our military, kids with cancer and other worthy causes.

It also led me to design and produce the first roller control arms and double roller perches. Now ware are making roller parts for some AMC cars, the early Nova and the 62-65 Ford Fairlane.

Just FYI, we have a forum member special going on the roller perches of $175 including shipping to all 50 states.

Our email is opentracker@sbcglobal.net , I'll be glad to answer any questions anytime.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Gun Jam

Ohh cool so that clears things up a bit.

Ill add roller perch to the list when I do the upper a arms and shelby drop

-Gun
Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Opentracker

Day and I started our businesses at the same time. A lot of people thought we were the same person back then, I guess some still do.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 PM
phutch11
1st Gear Member

I have a set of F15 roller perches, and as the OP said, the quality is by far the highest I have seen outside of a "big name" aftermarket suppliers (Edelbrock, FRPP, etc.) - and, frankly, higher than some of those.

That said, I noticed absolutely zero handling or ride quality differences after installing them.

If you stop and think about it a rubber spring perch in no way causes true "binding" from an engineering perspective - i.e. it does not stop your 4 bar linkage (your front suspension) from moving.

Rather, the friction produced between the metal and rubber effectively fights compression or rebound of the suspension. On compression, this friction would effectively produce a higher wheel rate (i.e. it's harder to compress the suspension) and on rebound, effectively a lower one (i.e. it's harder to rebound the suspension).

Really, they act like an additional damper of sorts.

Truthfully, I think the only effect that roller bearings have is that they speed up the response time of the suspension to bumps and other imperfections in the roadway.

Personally I doubt that they improve suspension response time more than reducing un-sprung weight (light weight wheels and tires), but then the price is lower.

OP - Have you read the book upon which you have the roller perches perched in your picture? Truly a classic.

Good luck...
Old 04-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Been reading every cchance I get. I'm barely into chapter two on weight distribution and dynamics and I've already learned more than I though I knew.

Quick Reply: F15Falcon Roller Spring Perches. WOW!