Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Removing Emiisions From a '66 Coupe 289

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:36 AM
camarozz

Default Removing Emiisions From a '66 Coupe 289

With my '66 Coupe and 289, and as far as I can tell its from the factory stock. California emissions with a resonator(?) and stock single exhaust/muffler.

My plan is to remove the emissions controls/pump and associated hoses for a cleaner engine compartment, and open up the exhaust (still considering my options on that). But my questions are for those that have done that; I would expect a snappier engine and performance and possibly a slight increase in mpg, but Im hoping for some input about things I could miss. Are there any other areas where I should consider changing because of X since it is a California/emisions car? Eventually I want to replace the 2bbl with a 4bbl, but Im shooting for the easier less price upgrages at the moment, and considering it a "stock" car but want a little more "fun" out of it. Everything I remove will be stored until I decide the final set up.

Thanks
Steve
Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

It would be a violation of CA and Federal law to remove the smog equipment, although I never heard of anyone being cited. The smog equipment is not a drag on performance, it only uses about 2 hp.

Cleaning up the exhaust ports of excess metal and matching them to the exhaust will improve performance even if you don't change the cam or exhaust system. The lousy exhaust ports on these engines are a real drag on performance, when I port-matched mine it felt like I'd put a better cam in it.

Another thing you can do is have the distributor professionally curved, they are almost always out of spec, which also kills performance.

Just fixing the distributor and port-matching the exhaust (along with a normal tune-up) will noticeably improve performance, even if you leave the 2V, stock cam, and single exhaust on the car.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 AM
camarozz

Lucky me, the only way they would find out around here is if for some reason I would need an inspection, or I sell the car to someone in a restrictive area like Seattle or Spokane. )

The main reason I would do it is because of the gaudy parts involved making the engine compartment look tormented. Tubes and hosees are just cluttering up the view.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If you remove the smog equipment (which, as mentioned, is illegal), keep the parts. They're valuable in themselves, and you never know if/when the tree-huggers here will push through legislation requiring smogs back to '66.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

You car is 3 years older than any requirement in the USA for emissions. You can do whatever you want to the emissions on that car. There were not laws until the early 70s and your car is grandfathered.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I would take all of that ugly old (and actually ineffective) emission control crap OFF.

Frankly, the addition of a good electronic ignition would probably do twice as much for emissions as all of that old crap does anyway.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Not true, Fordification. Federal emissions requirements started in '68, iirc, and CA requirements started in '66. Federal law prohibits tampering or removal of emissions equipment on any vehicle originally equipped, regardless of whether or not the state requires inspections on the vehicle. In CA, biannual smog checks are required for anything newer than '75, but it's still technically illegal to alter emissions on anything '75 and older.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:43 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I would take all of that ugly old (and actually ineffective) emission control crap OFF.

Frankly, the addition of a good electronic ignition would probably do twice as much for emissions as all of that old crap does anyway.
It did just fine, for what it was supposed to do, which was complete burning of any unburned fuel in the exhaust, and oh by the way dilute the exhaust with clean air to improve the ppm sniff.

Electronic ignition works as well as properly-tuned points. Of course, electronic doesn't need adjusting. Then again, if the electronic dies, you have to call a tow-truck, while I have repaired point ignition with trash from the side of the road.

"You takes your choice, and pays your money".

Last edited by 2+2GT; 04-11-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

Yeh, here in Cali, you don't know when or if they will decide to do something to the pre-74 cars. I have been next to cop cars and even asked what I have in it. I have a big cam and 40 series Flowmasters so it really thumps. Knock on wood, I have never been pulled over for NOISE or emissions. Just KEEP all your emission stuff! Good luck!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:22 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Randys66gt
Yeh, here in Cali, you don't know when or if they will decide to do something to the pre-74 cars. I have been next to cop cars and even asked what I have in it. I have a big cam and 40 series Flowmasters so it really thumps. Knock on wood, I have never been pulled over for NOISE or emissions. Just KEEP all your emission stuff! Good luck!
There's a lot of business going on in replacement parts and even complete systems for BOSS and Cobra Jet cars.

Quick Reply: Removing Emiisions From a '66 Coupe 289