Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

CJ PONY PARTS Horror Story !!!!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 PM
1966-FASTBACK
2nd Gear Member

Angry CJ PONY PARTS Terrible Service Story !!!!

Buyers beware of getting wrong parts and false delivery dates from CJ Pony Parts. Wanted to give warning to anybody that wants the info on one of the worst Mustang parts supplier I did business with in the last month and still have not receive what I wanted. By stretching my money with the free shipping, I found out the hard way that free shipping doesn't come with quality service or products from CJ.

About 3 weeks ago, I found a 7 qrt t-style pan from Ford Racing that they had on their site and ordered it. After I completed the purchase, a confirmation of my order was sent indicating that my order was on backorder! Why didn't CJ claim that item was on backorder so I could have looked elsewhere?

Since I was on a tight schedule, I wanted to find out how long the backorder would take so I called and talked to someone who told me 3-4 days for them to get the pan and 5-7 to ship to me, 11 days max. In the meantime, my engine has been sitting at the machine shop waiting for the oil pan. I had to call the shop and told them 10 more days. Not real happy with the wait, they said fine.

Forward 4 days later and no e-mail about the shipment, I called again and was informed the order was canceled by mistake! Upset from unauthorized cancellation, I shot off some e-mails and got a call from a Manager. I was then told another 10 days before I would get it and to give them a chance to make it up to me by selling me an oil pick-up for it at cost, plus 10%. Hopeful that the Manager will make things right, I agreed. Went down to the machine shop personally and apologized, letting them know they would not get the pan to finish my engine for another 10 days.

After 8 days from my conversation with the Manager, the pan finally arrived. I took it to the machine shop. The shop opened it up and found the WRONG PAN!!!! CJ Pony Parts sent me the rear sump instead of a front sump which was clearly stated on my original order. Royally upset, I called CJ to demand for an explanation for the wrong product delivery and requested all of my other existing orders to be cancelled.

With all the Mustang parts suppliers out there how did I get stuck with the one that has this kind of service and losers working there?? STAY AWAY from CJ PONY PARTS. You've been warned.

Last edited by 1966-FASTBACK; 04-24-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: paragraph form
Old 04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
kevink1955

Have used CJ's for almost everything on my sons 67 ground up/restomod. Sure they sometimes have backorders but not that often and they usuly fill the backorder within a few days. Order on sunday and have it by mid week.

At work I deal with some very large parts supplyers and they have more back orders than CJ does. Today there is a very fine line as to how much you can have in inventory and remain profitable.

I have read horror stories about almost all of the Mustang parts supplyers, It's part of doing business on the internet. Almost no one writes to say they got good service at XXX parts but let them slip up once and the first thing to do is write a bad review.

I give CJ's an A+, lets hear some more (good or bad)
Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

I suggest using paragraph form.

Have been ordering from CJ Pony parts since they updated there website so about a year ago? And have never had any problems. Love the free shipping especially for small parts. They have always been quick to assist me through email when I have a problem with my order.

Although I do agree they should tell you when something is going to be on backorder before you place your order. Keep in mind they wont charge you until your order is shipped.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 PM
1966-FASTBACK
2nd Gear Member

it wasn't so much the backorder. i'm talking about all the time wasted waiting on the part and then the wrong one was sent. do they just recieve our orders from there suppliers and stick a tag on it and send it out without making sure its the part we are waiting for? part of there job is to send the right part out of there store.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nba1341
I suggest using paragraph form.
LOL...I agree
Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 PM
plainsman1876
2nd Gear Member

I get my parts from CJ Pony Parts all the time and have'nt had any problems.I get my parts with in a few days
Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

That doesn't sound like a horror story. It sounds like a series of unfortunate mistakes.

I've worked parts for several years. While in an ideal world, everyone gets their parts in an accurate and timely manner, that doesn't always happen. People make mistakes. It sucks, but it's true. Sometimes it's incompetence, sometimes it's as simple as someone fat fingering the wrong number into a computer.

I've had to deal with the supplier side of this kind of mistake many times. The supplier needs to make it right. They need to admit fault and do what's needed to keep the customer, within reason. Something like a gift card or 25% off coupon would be applicable to this situation. If they won't admit reason or won't do something to show you they want to keep you as a customer, that is when it turns into a horror story.

Point is, talk to a manager and explain the situation to them. Do it calmly and rationally, but let them know you're extremely dissatisfied with the service you've received. See what they come up with.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:18 PM
71Mach14spd
2nd Gear Member

I've never used them but i have always heard good things about them.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles with your order. I have placed 4 orders with CJ in the last two weeks and all have been superb. Very friendly and helpful folks. I have been in your shoes before though with other parts suppliers so I feel your frustration.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Jbomb
1st Gear Member

Well after one mustang site charged me $10 shipping for 4 screws I will only use CJ from now on.

Free shipping + tax free (im out of state) + 10% off all part sales at times = lots of money saved. I will keep using CJponyparts and will encourage others to do so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CJ PONY PARTS Horror Story !!!!