Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Resto-mod project

Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

as for the strut rod. I would have said smack the bent part back into place with a proper hammer and use a long extension on a good airgun to get at the nut. shouldn't be a bother
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011

I've decided rather than replacing an entire floor pan, which would be a waste, I'm going to use brazing to fill the pinholes. I've already got a torch so I should be set, I'll have to check and make sure though.

Consider brazing a short term patch. In time, the brass and steel will react and rust. Sealing might help but I'd opt for welding over brazing.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 AM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

You might be able to weld those pinholes shut if they are indeed "pinholes", if you start burning through all around, the steel is too far gone and you're going to have to put some floor patches in. Remember the key to easy spotweld cutting is to center punch where you want to drill!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
as for the strut rod. I would have said smack the bent part back into place with a proper hammer and use a long extension on a good airgun to get at the nut. shouldn't be a bother
I tried beating it back with a hammer but its hard to get to and all the hammering I did, didn't help. However, I switched to an extension and used a bar rather than the airgun and it worked.

Originally Posted by KMatch
Consider brazing a short term patch. In time, the brass and steel will react and rust. Sealing might help but I'd opt for welding over brazing.

Hmmmmm, how about aluminum?

Originally Posted by 5'Oclocksomewhere
You might be able to weld those pinholes shut if they are indeed "pinholes", if you start burning through all around, the steel is too far gone and you're going to have to put some floor patches in. Remember the key to easy spotweld cutting is to center punch where you want to drill!
That's what I've been warned about, that welding with blow through.

Thoughts on brazing? I was recommended to it by a fellow doing the same thing on a 1968 porsche 911. He recommended it over welding floor pans...

What if I just use aluminum to braze the holes shut?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Aluminum won't attach to the steel. The problem isn't the brass per se, it's using dissimilar metals. Brazing a big honking piece of cast iron or steel will show no real problems for a while due to the size. Brazing sheet metal will have a quicker reaction as it's thin. Electrolysis is the problem. If welding blows through too bad, you're in need of new metal as that's a sign of it being too thin to be repaired. A mig with .023 wire on a low setting will do good here unless the metal's too thin. .030 or larger wire will be a challenge even with good metal.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KMatch
Aluminum won't attach to the steel. The problem isn't the brass per se, it's using dissimilar metals. Brazing a big honking piece of cast iron or steel will show no real problems for a while due to the size. Brazing sheet metal will have a quicker reaction as it's thin. Electrolysis is the problem. If welding blows through too bad, you're in need of new metal as that's a sign of it being too thin to be repaired. A mig with .023 wire on a low setting will do good here unless the metal's too thin. .030 or larger wire will be a challenge even with good metal.
Dang, okay, I'll shelve the brazing, I don't want to be repairing it in another few years.
I'll weld it then. I've got some .025 mig, think that'll work?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:10 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Changed my mind on the engine, going with a new route.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
FBConvert

Originally Posted by hightower2011

Changed my mind on the engine, going with a new route.
What's it going to be now? ha ha
Old 11-04-2010, 03:40 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

wtf is that?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FBConvert
What's it going to be now? ha ha
Originally Posted by eZ
wtf is that?
It's a Chevy 5.3L LM4 engine. I know I know, I'm going straight to hell for putting a chevy engine in my mustang, but for me it was a better idea. I decided to go the EFI route and I didn't want a 4.6 mod motor, and the 5.0 was outta my price range. And I didn't want to just plop an EFI unit on the 302 I have. I've been researching for the past few days and the GM engines put out slightly better stock, or close to stock, numbers in the EFI engine. So that's when I decided on a GM motor.
I wanted an LS1 but of course it was way outta my price range. The cheapest LS1 I could find had 160k miles and was $1,200. No thanks.... (not like I could even afford that) And I didn't want an iron block, so when I found the aluminum block LM4, I jumped on it. $350 for the whole setup, not bad I think. Heck, the 4.6 Ford motors around here are more expensive than that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resto-mod project