Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Resto-mod project

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:34 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Alright guys. Got busy with the SAT this weekend so I didn't get too much done, but I did manage to take off the window trim on the body, put the front end up on jack stands (had to go buy a pair) and vacuum the entire car (you wouldn't believe how much rust, dirt, and crap had piled up in the floor pans). So I didn't get much done but I have a question.
How do I remove the trim above the window on the outside of the body?
This:

Also, what should my next course of action be? Like I said before, I'm not sure what needs to be done, and stuff I've removed is stuff I knew had to go eventually.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I made my own blast cabinet from 1/2 plywood and put it on rollers. Mine is not completely enclosed because I do some larger parts (rearend housings). I picked up my blaster & nozzles @ a swap meet for $25.

I have a 10 hp 220v compressor run through a dryer to the gun. I use black magic media. It cuts really well and is cheap I get it from Menards $9 for 60lbs. Since my cabinet isn't sealed I lose some of my media, but I reclaim about 85% of it. When I want to refurbish aluminum I use glass bead that I get at the local Harbor Freight.

Keep on working, you're doing great so far.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

The trim needs to be unscrewed, look at the very front tip for an additional screw usualy hidden by crud. It is then held on by double sided tape that you can carefully pry away starting at one side and slowly working to the other.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by racer_dave
I made my own blast cabinet from 1/2 plywood and put it on rollers. Mine is not completely enclosed because I do some larger parts (rearend housings). I picked up my blaster & nozzles @ a swap meet for $25.

I have a 10 hp 220v compressor run through a dryer to the gun. I use black magic media. It cuts really well and is cheap I get it from Menards $9 for 60lbs. Since my cabinet isn't sealed I lose some of my media, but I reclaim about 85% of it. When I want to refurbish aluminum I use glass bead that I get at the local Harbor Freight.

Keep on working, you're doing great so far.
That sounds like a good idea! Do you have a pic or two to give me an idea of how you did it?
Building my own sounds better than buying one. That way I can build it as big as I want (within reason) to fit it within my needs.

It's simple ideas like these I wish my brain would think of.

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
The trim needs to be unscrewed, look at the very front tip for an additional screw usualy hidden by crud. It is then held on by double sided tape that you can carefully pry away starting at one side and slowly working to the other.
Ah, I never looked there, thank you. (I was just looking at your thread, kinda ironic, haha. Congrats on the win though, your mustang looks incredible!)
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Angliagasser
2nd Gear Member

For the drip rail chrome, I use a dead blow hammer or a rubber headed hammer and start from the front and hit it from the under side out and take it off. Just go slow it will come right off.
P.S. There are no screws anywhere on the drip rail chrome.

Last edited by Angliagasser; 05-02-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Little update. I'm probably gonna go get a rear axle and front spindles to do my 5 lug conversion later this week. Total is $200. $50 for each front spindle (have been sandblasted) and $100 for the rear end, which is kinda dirty.
Sound good? Any better recommendations?

Also, I need some help removing the steering column and wheel. Right now I'm not quite sure how to get it and the steering wheel out.

Oh, and one more question. I was wondering what the newest (latest model) mustang engine I can put in my 1968 would be? Without major modification of course. I've heard of late '70s model engines being put in and was wondering what else can go in.

Thanks again guys. I've got a few books (including a shop manual) in the mail from amazon, but until then I'm afraid I'll have simple questions like these, haha.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

You don't need spindles. Just all the V8 brake parts. For 67 the I6 and V8 spindles were the same. $100 for a good rear end is a decent price.

Below is a PDF I made of my conversion. Maybe it will help some.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
4 to 5 lug swap (2) (1).pdf (99.2 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by 1slow67; 05-03-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

anything other than a modular engine will fit into the 67 i beleive, even big blocks.
and you'll probably need a steering wheel puller for the steering wheel
Old 05-03-2010, 10:22 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
You don't need spindles. Just all the V8 brake parts. For 67 the I6 and V8 spindles were the same. $100 for a good rear end is a decent price.

Below is a PDF I made of my conversion. Maybe it will help some.
Awesome! Great write up! If you could embed those pics, it'd be even better, but I'm not complaining, it's exactly what I needed!

Originally Posted by racin66coupe
anything other than a modular engine will fit into the 67 i beleive, even big blocks.
and you'll probably need a steering wheel puller for the steering wheel
I may be getting into something I can't handle, but I'd be especially interested in putting a 1990s mustang engine in there.
I think I'll make another thread in the general discussion to ask about this so it doesn't clutter this one.

And I'll pick up a steering wheel puller from an auto parts store tomorrow. Thanks for that tip, I shoulda known.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by hightower2011
Awesome! Great write up! If you could embed those pics, it'd be even better, but I'm not complaining, it's exactly what I needed!
Yeah, I thought the links worked, but it seems you have to copy and paste them. Its been close to a year since I did that swap.

Quick Reply: Resto-mod project