Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 Mustang Speedo Core Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 PM
ClayTex

Default 67 Mustang Speedo Core Cable Replacement

Ok... So... here's the problem I was having:

The speedometer constantly sounded like it was rattling fairly loudly. Occasionally it would start ticking and bouncing and the odometer would stop working; this would eventually stop and it would work "normally" just with the rattling sound.

I came to the conclusion that the cable probably just needed to be lubed. However, I figured for 7 or 8 bucks why not just replace the cable core and have a brand new core in there.

So... I take the old cable core out... cut the new one to length... and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this little metal spike(vague instructions on the package called it a stake) onto the end of the cable to go inside the speedometer gauge. (The old one had a plastic one on the end of it that was actually pointed; the new "spike" is flat on the end.)

I finally decide to just stick the spike into the speedometer gauge and screw the cable back onto the back of the gauge and hope that time/friction/pressure will push the cable into the spike.

So... now... I go to test to see if it works... it seems to. The speedo jumps up for 0 to 10ish when I start moving and then climbs as I accelerate. Seems good right? I haven't been able to test the accuracy of my just-shove-it-together-and-let-it-work-itself-in speedometer job yet, though. However... the rattling sound has gone away. YAY! (Probably just had to do with the fact that I lubed the new core up when I put it in.

So... now my real question... and I'm going to show how little experience I have with these older vehicles here:

I never paid attention to whether or not the speedometer worked in reverse; yknow, I mean show how fast I'm going. But if it did before... it sure as hell doesn't now... So... Is it supposed to show my speed in reverse?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:57 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The generic cables I have seen should have the tip crimped on.

I always use the correct repro cables. They aren't expensive, and the better ones are the exact length.

Mechanical speedos don't work in reverse.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 AM
ClayTex

Yeah. I am feeling like i need to put the old cable back in and just lube it until i replace the entire cable set up (which will be soon). The old cable actually looked to be in really good shape.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:07 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I have an 8 oz tub of E6TZ-19581-A Ford speedo cable grease. My heirs will probably throw it away. Works really well.

I use gun oil on the speedo drive shaft. Never gets sticky or thick.