Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suspension Kit good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Jbomb
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension Kit good deal?

Is this suspension kit a good deal? http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...at=2342&page=1 I am planning on redoing the whole suspension, I was hoping to get a kit like this from cjponyparts to save on the shipping and taxes but I couldn't find it. I have till Wednesday evening to decide since Thursday is my dead line to order it or not.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
71Mach14spd
2nd Gear Member

That's an incredible deal...god damn it why did you have to show me this? I spent way more than that on my 71 mach 1 to do the same thing...
Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

Are they American made? I hear some of those A arms made in China are not a good first choice.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

I've got the grab-a-trac set up and very happy with it. It's a mustangs+ product line. Pay attention to the kit specifics = standard eye leafs and front coils. You should be able to get similar kit in a mid-eye and 1" drop coil. Be specific when you order the kit. Mustangs+ is not known for being the overly helpful, you get what "you" ask for, and if you don't ask then it's not mustang+ fault. why do I know, they're 45 min from me.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:10 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

BTW....I recall seeing labeling indicating "made in mexico"
Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Jbomb
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info groho, did you use the Polyurethane Perches? I plan on using 4 leaf standard eye.

71Mach14spd how much did you spend?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

It's a decent deal, but I'd rather piece together better parts for slightly more. I've heard the Grab-A-Trak shocks are kinda mushy, and just about everything they sell uses poly bushings, which ride rougher and are more prone to squeaks.

I do have M+ springs on all four corners of my car, and I like them. 560lb 1" drop coils and 4.5 leaf mid-eyes.

While you have everything apart, get yourself some roller spring perches from OpenTracker Racing and do the Shelby/Arning drop. The roller perches allow the springs and shocks to move without any lateral bind for a smoother, more responsive ride. The Shelby drop will give you better suspension geometry to keep the wheels flatter on the ground during cornering and alter the roll center for a flatter cornering feel.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:53 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
It's a decent deal, but I'd rather piece together better parts for slightly more. I've heard the Grab-A-Trak shocks are kinda mushy, and just about everything they sell uses poly bushings, which ride rougher and are more prone to squeaks.

I do have M+ springs on all four corners of my car, and I like them. 560lb 1" drop coils and 4.5 leaf mid-eyes.

While you have everything apart, get yourself some roller spring perches from OpenTracker Racing and do the Shelby/Arning drop. The roller perches allow the springs and shocks to move without any lateral bind for a smoother, more responsive ride. The Shelby drop will give you better suspension geometry to keep the wheels flatter on the ground during cornering and alter the roll center for a flatter cornering feel.
1) True about the price- Glazier Nolan has a similar deal, except they prefer neoprene, for the reasons you cite. They do restorations, so their parts tend to look 'original', too. They prefer Kayaba shocks, GR2 for most, Gas-A-Just for those who want a little more 'edge'.

2) Mucho agreement on the 'drop'. Think of it as 'radial tuning' the suspension. If I could make only one change to a Mustang, that would be it.

Arning/Shelby Suspension Drop

Last edited by 2+2GT; 12-12-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

To get reid of squeeks on ploy. Put telfon tape where poly fittings go on sway bar - no squeaks
Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
To get reid of squeeks on ploy. Put telfon tape where poly fittings go on sway bar - no squeaks
True. I often use poly sway bar bushings, with just this technique, and usually use poly end links. But nowhere else. Control arm, spring bushings, harsh and rattly. And on struts, potentially lethal, because they don't flex, they force the strut to flex, with potentially deadly results.

Quick Reply: Suspension Kit good deal?