Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

No Brake Lights nor turn signal lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:21 PM
genec728
1st Gear Member

Default No Brake Lights nor turn signal lights

Got in my 66 convertible yesterday and noticed I had no brake lights and no turn signal lights. Head lights, tail lights and parking lights all work fine. Had not driven it in about a month but everything worked fine when I parked it in my garage. What should I look for and check to locate and fix this problem. My car is an automatic, 200 cubic inch. Thanks for any help from you experts out there.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 PM
71Mach14spd
2nd Gear Member

Check all of your fuses first. If any are burned replace them then check. If still not then check your turn signal switch and brake pedal switch.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

well check first if the indicator works in the front. if it doesn't the problem seems more 'global' :-) anyway, the indicator in the back and brake light is the same bulb. so if both indicators don't work in the back, it could be that both bulbs are gone, but it's less likely. probably is just a fuse or the ground wire fell off (i think it's with the driver side cabling and bolts somewhere to sheet metal in trunk. i'd check the fuses first
Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Wow, how bone headed can I be?? I'm in the middle of restoring my 65 and don't know... Do these have a hazard switch? If so, a hazard switch not turned completely on or off can cause this. Otherwise, outside of the usual bulbs and fuses, the turn signal switch itself is highly suspect. The brake switch feeds its output to the turn signal switch which splits the signal to both rear bulbs.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It's highly unlikely that both bulbs would fail simultaneously, though they could with a short, so if you have a loose/blown fuse and that doesn't fix it, pull the bulbs and do a continuity check.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Because both the turn and brake lights don't work I would look at the power going to the turn signal assy in the steering column (under the horn). You may have a bad signal assy if you have power to it, but no lights.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 PM
genec728
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I have checked and all my fuses are good and all the brake light bulbs are good. I have a question though,
- if the brake switch which is mounted on the brake pedal arm is bad would that also cause the turn signal lights problem or does this switch only affect the brake lights???
Old 06-18-2010, 02:46 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

That switch only effects the break lights. Though, the brake lights are wired THROUGH the turn signal switch so when the signal is on it sends interrupt to the brake light if it's active. But a bad brake light switch will not effect the turn signals.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by genec728
Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I have checked and all my fuses are good and all the brake light bulbs are good. I have a question though,
- if the brake switch which is mounted on the brake pedal arm is bad would that also cause the turn signal lights problem or does this switch only affect the brake lights???
You can use a wire to bypass/test the brake-light switch. Just unplug the connector and touch the spare piece of wire to the two wires. your brake lights will turn on.
But I really think, as others have stated, that it may be your turn-signal assembly in your steering wheel. If it has never been replaced, it probably should be (they do self cancel after turns, this is usually the first piece to go).. it is such small fragile piece of plastic and is very easy to break as it becomes brittle with age. The brake lights and the turn signals both go through the turn signal assembly. If the piece breaks or grounds out in your steering wheel, you won't have turn signals or brake lights.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
1966stang
1st Gear Member

If replacing the turn signal doesnt work, replace the voltage regulator which is in the engine bay. I replaced my turn signal switch twice (once with a chinese repo and the other with an expensive OEM signal) and brake switch, about $300 later, i found out it was just the $15 regulator that was broken

Quick Reply: No Brake Lights nor turn signal lights