Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Do I need an Alt???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 05:25 PM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

Default Do I need an Alt???

I have a problem with my car dropping amps when it comes to a stop, or if I have either my lights, or my elec fan on. I mean it drops to around 12, but as soon as the car gets back up to around 1000 rpm's, it moves back up to 14+ the way it should read. I want to go with a 1 wire, 100 amp alt, but don't want to fry the elec system either. Any ideas to check to see if it is the alt, besides taking it to the Zone for a test. I kinda told the guy from the local store to go to Hell, after he wouldn't help me earlier with the problem. I've checked ALL the grounds that I know to check, but maybe I am missing 1. Thanks for any time and info, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:57 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Do I need an Alt???

You could swap a smaller pulley onto the alternator, that would get you more amps at lower rpms... could go to a higher amp alternator... you won't fry anything, volts is volts.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

They make a pouch that attaches to the Alt and hangs just below it. Works great to catch all the amps that fall out. The hard part is getting them back inside the alternator. Amps are nasty little buggers that bite really hard if you're not careful.

Of course the new single one wire Alts, having only one wire, do a much better job of keeping the amps inside.

You could probably run a few checks on the regulator, following the guide in the service manual to see if that is within specs on regulating the falling out of amps (it is ok for a few to drop out every now and then, I mean heck these are old cars).
If the Alt is old it might need a set of brushes to kind of help sweep up the amps before they fall out.

Just some things to check, before you apologize to Checkers.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:15 AM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

Auto Zone, and it won't be no apologizes. He pretty much told me to go to Summit to get one, only because he didn't know how to look one up on their computer. Anyway, his loss of my cash, there's 2 more stores in town. Never heard of one of those bags you are talking about Scott, but I don't think it will help in this case. I'm thinking it's time to retire the 65 amp, for a bigger, nicer unit for the life of the car. Thanks for the replies people.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:09 AM
6CylAtTinker

lol theres no such thing.... amps dont fall out and you cant catch them lol.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:30 AM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

DUH!!! I just didn't want to be rude and hurt the guys feelings. I'm too old to fall for that, but I can take a joke. As long as it don't lead to someone messing up their car, I'll play along.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Sorry William, When I read your post (especially when it started off with a smiley) I thought you were being funny. Based off all the advice you've posted to help others I thought you had a broader knowledge than that.

There was some good information in there to help you determin the cause of the problem, although I realize now that it was written towards someone with a better understanding of automotive electrical systems.

My mistake, won't do it again.

And as far as causing someone to mess up their car, Well lets just say, if you were to go into Autozoo and actually ask for an Amp pouch, it wouldn't have been the car that was hurt.

Best of luck,

Scott
Old 08-03-2005, 03:49 PM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

[:@] Hey, I can take a joke, just don't think for a minute that I am stupid. The more I read your last response, the more I think that's what you are, in a round about way, trying to say. If it is, **** off. The smiley face meant to start the thread off in a friendly manner, not as a joke. I still don't see where you think it is??? The only "amp" bag I've ever dealt with was tweek, back years ago, when I was a speed freak. NOW, all I'm trying to figure out, is will a 100 amp alt keep enough amps/volts going thru the system to keep it at 14+ at idle, AND during while I have my headlights or elec fan going??? I need something big enough to run that stuff, together with the other things I have hooked up. I also have a tach, and a set of triples that come on with the key. If you, SCOTT, want to help, that's fine. If you want to make ME the *** end of your lame jokes, stay out of it. Not trying to be a dick, but don't try to play me, and I'll return the same respect. If this gets me kicked off here, oh well, I have got to let people know my limits. PEACE
Old 08-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Wow!!!

You can't even take an apology.
I honestly do not mean to demean, or derate anyone.

OK, you do your thing, I'll do mine.

I do wish you the best of luck in all sincerity.
But I will not offer you any more help.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:26 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68COOP

I have a problem with my car dropping amps when it comes to a stop, or if I have either my lights, or my elec fan on. I mean it drops to around 12, but as soon as the car gets back up to around 1000 rpm's, it moves back up to 14+ the way it should read. I want to go with a 1 wire, 100 amp alt, but don't want to fry the elec system either. Any ideas to check to see if it is the alt, besides taking it to the Zone for a test. I kinda told the guy from the local store to go to Hell, after he wouldn't help me earlier with the problem. I've checked ALL the grounds that I know to check, but maybe I am missing 1. Thanks for any time and info, it's greatly appreciated.
Hey 68Coop,

If you're still having problems with this, I think I have a troubleshooting diag that may help answer some questions before going to another alt. It shows how to by-pass the regulator to let the alt run at full charge. I'm thinking you could try that to see if the voltage increases and let you tell if it's really the alt or maybe the regulator.

I'll be happy to scan that for you if you're interested. As I recall, it's from Ford circa 1974 so it should still apply to yours. Does the harness plug into or do you have terminals with screws?

Quick Reply: Do I need an Alt???