Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

engine starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 PM
1967coupeon101
2nd Gear Member

Default engine starting

Sometimes she'll fire up without a problem, then after shes been running for a while, it just cranks. you can hear the starter whine by cranking and cranking, but doesnt engage and engine doesnt fire. What could be the problem here? When I sprayed starting spray down the carb, it fired.

Side question. Will those shackle lift kits reduce/eliminate the wheels rubbing onto the lip of the wheel well, or anywhere else there? or will new leaf springs be necessary as well. Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 02:13 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I think the carb may need to opened up and cleaned or rebuilt. It may also need the floats adjusted.

Yes the shackle kits will lift the rear enough to prevent tire rubbing. I have them on mine. It isn't the most desired way to do it, but its way better than air shocks. I was considering lift springs from Laurel Mountain Mustang. They seem to be the only place that I have found that has them.

I am now probably going to just run the same size tire on all 4 wheels and take the shackles off. I may wait to do this until I need new tires. I can't decide.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

carburetor is probably heatsoaked. once you switch off the engine, the carb will get hotter and hotter and boil the fuel out of the bowls. what intake and carb do you have? maybe a phenolic spacer under the carb will helkp

shackle lift kit is a botcher job. if you have correct wheels and tyres (what size?) then just get a new set of leaf springs, the old ones are probably sagged
Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Do you have points still? getting spark?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Yup check for spark. I had a similar problem, my valence resistor (spelling?) Was shorting out
Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Are you running electronic ignition or points?? After I installed a HEI distibutor my car would run for awhile and just die and wouldn't start back up right away. I found out that I had forgot to bypass the resistor wire under the dash. Once I did this I never had another problem.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

well in short. if the engine is cranking, but not starrting then battery, starter and selonoid is ok. no point checking on that.
So it cna only be fuel or spark. Since the problem seems to only happen when the car is warm it rather seems top be fuel related, as I'm hard pressed to believe that ignition stops working once it's getting warm. the only thing i could think of is a lousy coil. I rather say fuel/carb

Does the problem happen as well in the mornings or is it mostly present when you stop the car hot and wait for a few minutes?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I agree with what was said about it being fuel or spark. It could be a heatsoak issue. Has it had this problem before, of is it a recent issue.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:41 PM
1967coupeon101
2nd Gear Member

ive only driven it once. I drove it about 3 miles to a gas station and filled up a little. Tried to start it up and it just cranked, until I sprayed the spray into the carb. so i agree with kalli. I would start it just to have it run, and the engine would be cold and it would fire right away, so I'm going to say the problem presents itself after being run for a while.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:36 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i'm positive it's either heatsoaked carb or crap in the fuel line that was showshed around while filling. do you have a petrol filter with a sight glass?
if yes when it happens the next time check if the filter is full or empty. remove aircleaner (engine off) and look down the carb, open the throttle plate slowly (accellerator linkage) and you should see a solid stream of fuel shooting inside the carb.
if you don't the fuel bowl is empty or something blocked. if you are able to cure it with a starter spray then you probably ran on starter spray til the fuel pump filled the bowls again and you were good to go. from all this I still believe heatsoak

if it keeps happening to you try a phenolic spacer between carb and manifold

Quick Reply: engine starting