Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Steering Column Wiring

Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 PM
restomod@16
2nd Gear Member

Default Steering Column Wiring

So I have a 67 coupe that I'm entirely re-wiring and I cannot seem to figure out where this one wire goes. It a red wire that comes from the steering column and appears to go to the turn signal switch, yet the kit I purchased does not have a wire to connect to it. The car's wiring was pure stock before this project so I know it has to go to something. I can't seem to figure out what it could go to since every other wire has a mate.

This is what the kit says about the wiring code:

Green w/ white stripe- Left Front Turn
White w/blue stripe- right front turn
Blue- Turn Switch feed
Green- Brake Switch
Green w/orange stripe- left rear turn
Orange w/blue stripe- right rear turn
White w/red stripe- turn sw- hazard lights
yellow- horn relay ground
blue w/yellow stripe- horn relay ground

I guess the only way to figure it out would be to attach the battery and troubleshoot the problem, but I'd prefer not to because I have not finished the entire car yet, and I'd probably short something out with all the unmated leads.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Is the red wire one from the kit or is it an original wire coming from the switch?

If its from the kit your best bet would be to call the manufacturer and talk to them. They should be able to tell you what it is.

If it is from the switch then you could ohm out across it and the other wires to figure out what it should be.

I was looking through a 67 diagram and the only red that i could see goes to the wiper switch and i wouldnt think it would be going to the coloum. Also a red w/white to the emergency flasher, maybe possibly it should be a red with white stripe wire instead of solid red, but thats just a guess.

http://1bad6t.com/diagrams/67MustangWiring01.jpg
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 PM
restomod@16
2nd Gear Member

It is an original wire that seemingly comes from the switch, I guess I'll have to learn what it goes to the hard way. Thanks for the diagram btw.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

As far as trouble shooting this you will be able to go a long ways towards making sure everything is hooked up properly with a multimeter. Follow a schematic and ohm everything out to make sure you dont have any missed or improper connections. Of course the real test will be with the battery but you can find and fix most of the problems with just a multimeter.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Kallisto

Originally Posted by restomod@16
So I have a 67 coupe that I'm entirely re-wiring and I cannot seem to figure out where this one wire goes. It a red wire that comes from the steering column and appears to go to the turn signal switch, yet the kit I purchased does not have a wire to connect to it. The car's wiring was pure stock before this project so I know it has to go to something. I can't seem to figure out what it could go to since every other wire has a mate.

This is what the kit says about the wiring code:

Green w/ white stripe- Left Front Turn
White w/blue stripe- right front turn
Blue- Turn Switch feed
Green- Brake Switch
Green w/orange stripe- left rear turn
Orange w/blue stripe- right rear turn
White w/red stripe- turn sw- hazard lights
yellow- horn relay ground
blue w/yellow stripe- horn relay ground

I guess the only way to figure it out would be to attach the battery and troubleshoot the problem, but I'd prefer not to because I have not finished the entire car yet, and I'd probably short something out with all the unmated leads.
Hello,

did you find a solution to your question in the end? Same car, same year, the red wire appeared during restoration as well and we are at the "wondering period" recently.. little hint would help, long way to get it connected to battery and it could be forgotten..

Many thanks in advance!

Sarah
Old 06-06-2014, 01:41 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

It may be for the safety starter switch for those cars with tilt steering.