Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

69 fastback stalls in any gear... HELP

Old 08-04-2005, 02:02 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

Default 69 fastback stalls in any gear... HELP

hi girls and boys,

i have a little question concerning my 69 fastback with 302 engine:

engine is completely rebuilt, so is the tranny.
i added a 280 H comp cam, holley 600 carb, pro products manifold, flowtech headers, new pistons, rings, and crank, pertronix ignition, 6 blade fan, 3 row radiator, and so on and so on.

so, start the engine, and it roars like a beast, very responsive, very powerfull it would seem...
but, as soon as i put it in gear, DRIVE,R,2,1, the engine stalls. i checked all the vacuum hoses, all tight.
if i set the ignition and idle to normal settings, and i drop it in gear, she stalls. if i keep it going in D and then i adjust everything to normal idle speed and ignition, and i take it out of gear, the rpm's go up to about 2500-2800...

i'm running out of ideas so i hope you guys can help me out with this... not too many people around here in belgium that know what they're talking about when it comes to mustangs and V8's.

any help would be greatly appreciated....

harald
Old 08-04-2005, 02:24 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 69 fastback stalls in any gear... HELP

Hi Harald and welcome to Mustang Forums!

It sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

After you get it going in gear and going down the road, does it run ok?

Does it produce a lot of black smoke out the exaust? If so it may be a choke problem.

Is this something that started suddenly?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:27 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

Did you do any adjustments to the carb, or did you just bolt it on out of the box? ie... Fuel/air mixture?

Hook up a vaccuum gauge and see how the needle is acting during normal idle (in park at about 750RPM).

Does the starter sound labored while cranking when the engine is cold?

Old 08-04-2005, 02:52 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

hi and thx for the replies already,

if i do get it going it runs more or less okay, but not really powerfull, a bit lagging even. but it does not produce any black or blue smoke. this is something that has been this way since the 1st startup since the works have been done. problem is of course, that i did everything in one go, so that i don't know which modification is causing this problem.

the carb is a second hand job wich has been rebuilt with new gaskets and all that, but apart from that i don't know what application is was on before this . i know that when i got it it had 66 jets in, now i tried 70 jets to see if that made a difference but apart from it being more powerful in park, the problem stays the same.

with a vacuum gauge at about 1200 rpm's, i have more or less 0.6 bars of vacuum (sorry, no inches HG here...) but any lower than that and it stalls out again, even in PARK. so if i then adjust it all to keep going in DRIVE, i have only got about 0.2 bars of vacuum, wich is almost nothing really. and, when its in drive and idling to more or less the lowest possible speed, and i pull the throttle, it doesn't seem to want to rev up. almost as if its flooding with fuel. no blue smoke, however. maybe i should try a set of 64 jets and see what happens then.

but , i was trying it again a minute ago, it seems to backfire sometimes during cranking (and the ignition is correct) so that tells me too lean a mixture, or am i really mistaken now?

it's haunting me now....
Old 08-04-2005, 03:39 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

What is your timing set at?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

With the new info, I think 69 is on the right track. You have some sort of timing problem if it's popping back through the carb. Did a mechanic assemble the engine? Maybe the the cam/crank were not in time when the chain was put on. Double check the firing order and make sure the plug wires are where they should be and that the ignition timing is correct. Just keep in mind that even if the ignition timing is correct, the cam could still be out of time with the crank.

If the carb was running to rich, it would be belching out a lot of black smoke.

How did you hook up the new pertronix? I haven't got to that point on mine yet but have heard plenty of others having problems if they hooked it to the positive side oof the coil to power it and didn't have enough voltage. I think soaring said you need a minimum of 7.5 volts to fire it.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:18 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

Just one more thought. I hate it when that happens!

Does anyone here know if the rockers on that year are adjustable or not? If it is, maybe one or more of the valves could be out of adjustment and/or too tight & prevent them from fully closing. That could also account for the popping & low vacuum.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:27 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

70 should be fine for jetting on a Holley 600cfm carb... mine is set at 69 and I still have some room to go bigger before it starts to foul my plugs.

With the car running, look down the secondaries on the carb (the back two holes) and see if you can spot fuel trickling into the engine while idiling. (I had a problem that acted like yours, so while it seems off target... it's worth the 2 minutes to check out).

Old 08-04-2005, 06:31 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

sooo many replies, thx already for that....

first off, the secondaries are not trickling, had that problem in the beginning but put renew kit in, that solved it. plus the fuel bowl level is correct too...

the rockers are indeed adjustable but i 'd hoped they were correct as once the engine is at operating temp it doesn't backfire anymore at low engine speeds when i give it some throttle.

next, afraid to say that i am a mechanic BUT i assembled the engine together with a another mechanic who rebuilds engines more or less daily so that should be okay, as goes for the firing order.

the timing, however. is set in PARK to 6° btdc at the lowest engine speed i can keep it running. like i said, i tried to set the timing to 6° btdc in DRIVE and see what happens, but when i do this it'll keep going, but when i put it back in drive it revs up to 2500 revs.

maybe indeed the valves are to tight, will check that tomorrow, getting late here now. the neighbours are this close to calling the cops on that weird guy with his american car haha. anyway guys i wanted to thank you again for the ideas and suggestions so far. i'll get it in the end, with your help...

another thought to go to bed with; someone mentioned converter lock up to me earlier today, but that was overhauled by a specialized company together with the tranny. anyone got experience with that?

thx again, will try valves tomorrow....

harald
Old 08-04-2005, 06:56 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Which tranny do you have?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 fastback stalls in any gear... HELP