Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

TCP POWER RACK / PUMP

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Walt_Vee

Default TCP POWER RACK / PUMP

I dropped my TCP Power Rack @ Chris Alston's Chassisworks today to get rebuilt. It's one the first generation racks and it was leaking pretty bad...(it was already leaking when I pick up this project) Anyhow, he asked what power steering pump I was using, I told him I'm using a later mustang power steering pump (91' 5.0). He showed me a chart that had three power steering pumps: early mustang, later mustang, and a TCP.

(LPH) (GPH)
TCP (standard) 6.8 - 7.6 1.8 - 2.0
TCP (full range) 4.2 - 9.8 1.1 - 2.6
Early Ford 14.4 - 15.9 3.8 - 4.2
Late Ford 9.8 - 11.7 2.6 - 3.1

He mentioned the life of the power rack could suffer longevity because the later mustang power steering pump GPH is higher than recommended. TCP pump GPH is 1.8 - 2.0 and $700.00.... A little much for my budget... Anyhow he later mentioned an Adjustable Power Steering Valve from Heidts (#PS101) around $100-150.. A lot more reasonable than the TCP pump for my budget.

I would appreciate any comments from early mustang owners that currently have a TCP Power Rack and the pump they are using or adjustable power steering valve. Or perhaps you're using the stock pump with no issues... I'm sure I'll be getting hit with some kind of hefty bill for the rebuild (prolly~$300) so I would like to get a long life expectancy out of my power rack... I haven't done too much homework yet so I thought I'd start posting a thread here.

I have a 64.5 with 5.0 EFI
Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 AM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I am not using a TCP rack but I am using a Steeroids rack. I originally used a 5.0 pump like you with my setup but did not like the feel of the rack. Felt a little easy to steer. I converted over to a GM Saginaw pump and the car feels dramatically different. I have a much better feel of the road and the car tend to track a little better (I am not overcorrecting it nearly as much). You can pick up a bracket from March Performance and a rebuilt pump from the local parts store. You can do it for less than $200.

I would have been tempted to use the adjustable steering valve to see if it would work but I did not know about them then.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but I'd really like to get both of your comments concerning rack-and-pinion systems.

I'm sitting here trying to decide whether to replace my steering system with a rack and pinion system. Could you give me any insight?

I currently have power steering in my '67 convertible. The engine and tranny are out, so now's the time to decide what to do about my steering. I currently have a problem in that it won't make sharp turns to the right. Normal turning is fine, left is fine. I dont' know if the PO used the wrong parts, or if something is bent or out of adjustment (no way it'd be that easy). I've been watching some rack-and-pinion systems on ebay, one of which is a Steeroids, another looks like it may be a Steeroids clone, and finally a Unisteer unit. The first two come with a tilt column, the Unisteer would reuse my current column.

I've heard some systems tend to flex. Do you have any such problems?

How's the turning radius? I've heard you lose some when you switch to a rack. (Since mine doesn't turn well to the right, it'd probably be an improvement anyway)

Did you buy a kit that included an or did you use your original column?

If you have headers, did you have any issues there?

Did your original oil pan work, or did you have to switch to a rear sump pan?

I've heard you get a much better feel with the rack and pinion.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I asked around locally both here in S Jersey and up in eastern Canada about these adjustable power steering valves and everyone from Napa to Hydraulic shops looked at me like I had 2 heads. I had to have asked at least 12 to 15 different places. 1 hydraulic shop passed me a 1200.00 valve about twice the size of a alternator. I'm using a generic Ford power steering rack which was included when I purchased the front coil-over setup through AJE Racing. Replacement racks are available through Advanced Auto, etc for the 200.00 range.

When I bought the March Performance serpentine setup which included the power steering pump they asked what GPH the R&P setup was designed for and warned me that if the rack and pump didn't match I'd have problems. AJE Racing couldn't tell me the GPH rating for the rack and neither could Advanced Auto. March couldn't give me the GPH rating for the pump either!

After 3000+ miles there are no leaks so I'm happy with that. It is something I look at from time to time though. I'll have to look into the Adjustable Power Steering Valve you mentioned from Heidts though.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The factory pumps, especially from Ford, flow HUGE GPH and produce a lot of PSI. It makes the cars easy for little old ladies to steer, since all the volume and pressure makes the hydraulics work great. But it's harder on seals and it reduces your road feel. Ford was notorious(and still is) for their insanely overpowered steering pumps....even for a factory pump. And Ford is also notorious for noisy as hell pumps too.

TCP uses an aluminum KRC pump that has much reduced volume/pressure output to increase life as well as give a much tighter road feel. If you go to KRC, you can order the same pump in cast iron instead of the aluminum(the only one TCP caries) for a lot less. They also sell all the pressure valves for their pumps if you want to change your steering feel. http://www.krcpower.com/products.html It's just another option.

As far as racks vs. factory steering, a good factory type steering box like a Flaming River will have just as much response and tightness as a rack, and actually more tightness when driving straight. And a manual box with the quick 16:1 ratio will have pretty much the same turns lock to lock with about the same effort. But going to a rack lets you run a non factory power system, which some people like since the biggest complaint of factory power is that it's just too soft with no feel. I'm not sure how a factory power system would work with reduced pump output to increase feel.

Aftermarket rack systems are generally less complex of a system, especially with a power setup.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Walt_Vee

These are all great inputs! Thanks

I honestly couldn't say how long the rack lasted with no leaks using the late model pump because I received this project with the rack already leaking... so there's a lot of unknown varibles. With that said, my opinion upon receiving the rack leaking: this rack is definately a 1st generation rack and a few revisions on design have been implemented since. So after this rebuild I would expect everything to be up to par i.e. o-rings, piston, etc...

So far from what I have gathered, the late pump runs at the maximum tollerance on what TCP/CAW recommends. 2.6 GPH. Prior to me removing the rack, I did fill the reservior drove it around and notice that the steering was a little on the twitchy side when driving at a higher speed (aprox 40 mph). I'm guessing while the engine revs higher the pump works harder and hence the higher GPH... TCP offers the KRC aluminum pump at a big sticker price but, KRC offers a cast version at a more reasonable price. I'm going to give them a call and check this route out. I don't want the high priced pump, and the adjustable power steering isn't something I rather go with right now...( one less thing to mess with) so the verdict isn't out yet but, I don't think the late pump will immedately cause any damage to the rack but, I should be able to know at higher speed if it's to sensitive, then I definately need to decrease the GPH of the pump or something... Anyhow, I will continue to update as soon as I find out...

Thanks again

Walt
Old 05-20-2010, 02:20 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, factory pumps have crappy pressure curves. The output gets quite high as rpm increases. The KRC pumps are a lot more controlled, and pressure output stays reasonable across the rpm range, rather than shooting way up like a factory pump.

If I were you, I'd just get the iron KRC pump. It's the same pump, but for $130(probably cheaper if you look around since that's direct from KRC). And if you want a softer or tighter feel to your steering, all you have to do is order and screw in a larger or smaller flow valve, and the flow valve is also the fitting the p/s lines connect to. That and the TCP rack was designed to operate with that pump, so you don't have to worry about it being an issue.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Walt_Vee

When I get my rack back, I'm going to install it with the late mustang pump I currently have and evaluate it from there.
I called KRC regarding the cast iron pump they offer and they didn't recommend it because it was a 'ultra high volume' pump? I may need to get another opinion about this or do a little more home work...

I appreciate all the input, please continue to provide valuable advice.

Thanks

Walt
Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Hmmm, I thought it was the same pump that TCP uses except with a cast iron housing. They should know which pump to use or what setup to go with. I'd imagine they have a pump that works properly with the TCP setup since they make them.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 AM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

old thread i came across. but im doing this exact modification and wondering about the krc pumps. the cast iron ones are all black too. im leaning towards this pump.

Quick Reply: TCP POWER RACK / PUMP