Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I'm at a crossroad, need opinons

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:47 PM
1969boss302

Default I'm at a crossroad, need opinons

My 66 coupe project is pretty much stalled right now due to rust issues in the shell. I have done a lot of panel replacement already and now I have found more rust in the front subframe and cowl. I have decided that it might be a better idea to source a replacement shell from a desert or southern state (I am in CT in the heart of the rust belt!!) than to dig even deeper into this one at this time. My main question is has anyone here had any experience with a cross country haul, or at least several 100 to 1000 miles? How much would something like this typically cost? I am capable and have all of the necessary tools and equipment to continue repairing my current shell, but am weighing my time against the cost for a new shell plus transport. Any haulers to recommend or for me to avoid? I would like to get this thing finished as soon as possible and want to hear success or horror stories to get an idea of what I would be up against and maybe shed a little light on things I might not have thought of. Thanks
Old 05-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

Honestly, if you don't own a truck, 3/4 or 1 ton, I wouldn't do it. The cost of a truck rental and trailer would push the cost too high. We drove our 3/4 F250 diesel to Jersey and back to Cali and we spent between 600-700 bucks on diesel. It was 4 years ago and don't remember exactly how much. It can be done but keep the price of fuel in your mind when you figure it out. U-Haul does rent one way so no prob there. Oh, don't EVER do it in winter!!! We got stuck in Oklahoma City in a ice storm and that held us there 3 extra days.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yeah pay a shipping company to move the car for you its cheaper.I had a buddy talk me in to driving from ky to cali to pick up a camaro for him and he cover the gas.I have a older 1ton truck gets like 8mpg gas for the trip was like 1200 bucks couple of years ago.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:46 AM
sethalot
2nd Gear Member

my coupe came outta PA so i had to have it shipped from there to iowa it cost roughly 1300 all said and done, just careful who you have do it, bastards left my car sitting outside a towing yard in a blizzard for two days. needless to say once i finally got my car i gave them a severe cussing and a very bad review
Old 05-24-2010, 01:48 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

I've had vehicles shipped cross country in the past- though I cannot remember the company name... The cheapest I could find was about 800 from CA to NC about 8 years ago. We are currently considering a trip from WA to CA, then over to NC and back in July-AUg timeframe. We are planning on spending well over a 1000 on gas alone-towing the Stang. If you could find a buddy with a truck and trailer you could borrow, it may be cheaper to take a road trip, but I'd say if you have already invested a lot of time and money into your current car, it seems a waste not to finish it. It may take longer and end up costing more than you expected, but I know I didn't get into classic Mustangs to turn a profit...
Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

dont pay for shipping spend more money and buy a car that is driveable :P

i assume your car is v8 since it says clone buy a super clean sixxer and use your car for a v8 swap
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
1969boss302

Thanks for the input, you guys pretty well confirmed what my gut was telling me already. I had found a suitable donor car in Arizona and thought it might be a better solution to just have that hauled here to CT and transfer all of my other parts onto that shell. The more I thought about it the less attractive an option it seemed. This isn't my first restoration, and this type of rust is typical for what we find here in the northeast. This car is an original C code 289 with a 4 speed in it (3 speed originally), it is a plain jane Vintage Burgundy coupe with black standard interior that I am adding all of the GT goodies onto as I go and doing a kind of retro restomod thing on it by doing the type of mods that were common in the 60's including a dual quad set up with AFB's instead of Holley's, like the dealer installed Cobra package, and a hot cam with other internal engine mods. I have already done the usual trunk floors and full floors, quarters and wheel houses on it and I had thought that I was done with the rough metal work on this shell, so I wouldn't have junked it just offered it to someone else had I bought the other one. I am just going to bite the bullet and fire up the spot weld cutter and Mig welder and just finish this one off. I might even get inspired and take a bunch of pics and start a build thread of the project, we'll see how it goes....