Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 AM
marlon1
2nd Gear Member

Default stereo question

wanting to add an am\fm cd changer to my 66. I would like to keep the original am radio
since it still works. has anyone installed a reciever in their glove box & if so what types are out there. thanks for the help
Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Any radio will fit in your glove box.I have a Eclipse and eq mouted in my glovebox
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I would say since your dash is not cut get one of the retro radios that looks like the OE one but has modern electronics for the digital tuner and CD changer / I pod controls.

I do not like the glove box mounted radios, because you can not reach or see them. I think they are a safety issue, because you can't really mess with them while driving.

Also, for the rest of the stereo, I suggest going with speakers and grilles etc that look stock.

There are a few different speakers that replace the factory AM dash speaker with 2 small speakers. I had the traditional one, and it was ok. I now have the deluxe 2 channel one and it is better. I have not heard it, but many say the dual voice coil single speaker is the best.

I also used a pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear with the factory type speaker cover grilles so it looks factory.

Here is mine. I used to have the grilles that came with the speakers. This looks so much better.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

if your fm radio works, why not use an ipod with fm sender? mp3 beats cd changer
Old 06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

+1 having a bunch of cd's on one little rectangle (iPod) is much better then a giant cd case, visor cd case, or them just scattered around your car.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

i think those replacement radio's are junk for the price.I never sell them and talk customers out of them because they arent satisfied when the get them.You get basic features and ugly looks. I dont consider it a safety issue, when you have a wireless remote which almost all newer radios come with.Most of the time you familiarize youself with basic functions on the remote like volume,next track or mode.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Jedro

Agreed on the iPod. I resisted for years, but I bit the bullet when I put a new head unit in my '01 GT.
So when I was putting a new system in my '66, I mounted the head unit under the dash, over by the passenger kick panel. I ran my iPod cable back up under the dash through the back of my console; I will probably run it into the glove box at some point. Either way, I use a remote to operate the head unit and nearly every function is do-able from the tiny remote. The best part? The newer stereos control your iPod. Song title, artist, album are all displayed on the face of the head unit. I never touch the iPod. It's great.

Stepping off the soapbox now.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:46 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Screw the iPod and get a stereo that has USB. I have a 16Gig flashdrive that was $45 at staples that I have filled up with music. Helluva lot cheaper than an iPod and it can stay in the glovebox all the time. I found out that my ancient color iPod wasn't compatible with my Kenwood. My daughters' iPod Touches worked with it, but not mine.Go figure. Anyway I like the fact that I can leave the flashdrive with the car and not worry at all.

Oh and I mounted mine under the dash with an enclosure and 2 screws.

Last edited by scootchu; 06-03-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

The USB flash drive is cool too. I actually really like that idea. I only know one person that has it. Do any of the retro stereos offer that function?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yeah i have a usb jack on my radio and love it a single thumb drive can hold every cd you own and fit on your keychain.

Quick Reply: stereo question