Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What to paint what on a completely new under body

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
laxexquis

Ok, now when you guys say paint it black, you mean everything? Technically weren't somethings left unpainted.

As far as the under coating, how does it compare to the regular painting of black? Would you say it looks unoriginal? This will definitely be the last time I redo this car so maybe the undercoating would be best, I just worry it might look or standout as after market.

John
Old 06-03-2010, 03:22 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

how often is someone under your car??i want the most durable paint i can get so id use say POR 15 then bedliner bammmmm done
Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

I got tired of going back and forth in my mind so out of the blue I ordered some Duplicolor bed coating. Not the newer kevlar stuff, but the cheapy. I fought with a spray setup until I got it to spray and the results are way better than I'd hoped for. It's all black - everything (satin) and looks great! Anybody picky enough to look under it and say something to me about it not "looking factory" had better be outta foot range. This bed coating won't take the abuse of real bedliner, but it really does a good job of "losing" the seams from patch panels and such plus if there's a need to get a bolt out, it won't be as bad as doing so with bedliner.

Good color

Good hiding

Nice subtle texture.

If you can't spray it (not the easiest to do), there is a roller kit available as well.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I would use satin or flat black and paint it. I will never use any type of undercoating on anything I own. If it chips off it will hold in moisture. I also vote no for bedliner. If you ever need to remove it, it will be nearly impossible. I have also seen numerous bedliners flake and chip etc.

There are a few things like the transmission, shocks, gas tank, and fuel/brake lines that I would not paint if possible.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 06-03-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KMatch
I got tired of going back and forth in my mind so out of the blue I ordered some Duplicolor bed coating. Not the newer kevlar stuff, but the cheapy. I fought with a spray setup until I got it to spray and the results are way better than I'd hoped for. It's all black - everything (satin) and looks great! Anybody picky enough to look under it and say something to me about it not "looking factory" had better be outta foot range. This bed coating won't take the abuse of real bedliner, but it really does a good job of "losing" the seams from patch panels and such plus if there's a need to get a bolt out, it won't be as bad as doing so with bedliner.

Good color

Good hiding

Nice subtle texture.

If you can't spray it (not the easiest to do), there is a roller kit available as well.
Jim used the same stuff on his 66, I think it looks good.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The spray on bedliners are not cheap but i know linex will take a beating and still look good.And the bedliner will act as sound deadening also.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by laxexquis
Hello,

I am in the middle of restoring my 68 Stang convertible.

With new floors and much more new structural things the time has come to start repainting the new bottom of the car which is mostly bare much.

So my question is, what areas should be painted and what colors should these areas be, trying to be as original as possible.

Thanks for you help,

John
You want as original as possible on a 68 convertible:

Old 06-06-2010, 10:17 AM
laxexquis

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
You want as original as possible on a 68 convertible:

Okay, so would you say almost everything execpt for the engine bay area should be painted that color?

Is there a specific color code for that?

Thanks again,

John
Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 PM
1969boss302

There is no color code for the primer used under the car. The factory just used what they had on hand and often would mix 2 or 3 lots of primer together when they were getting empty to stretch it out for more cars. There is a wide variety of colors out there and none are considered incorrect. I would use a red oxide and call it a day. Also the factory didn't mask off the car as different areas were painted, so there was a lot of overspray underneath. The body color just kind of fades as you move from the rockers to the tunnel on the floor pans and the engine bay black does the same from the front towards the back. Everything was bolted on after the body was painted so things like the steering linkage, tie rods, etc are all natural, the control arms were dipped into black paint, but the ends where the ball joints are were left unpainted. engines were painted after they were assembled and transmissions were unpainted. Many of the brakets, like bumper and engine accessories were painted off the car and added later as well. Hope that gets you started.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 PM
makaveli200369

Originally Posted by FoMoJoe
I dunno about originality but I had 3M Body Schutz sprayed on the bottom of mine and the rails and metal components rattle canned black.

What rear brake setup is this? Awesome..thanks!