Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Corvette C4 suspension in a 65 Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
FBConvert

I spoke with the guy I bought the suspensions from and he assured me that they are from the years 88-94. But I looked at the breaks and they are only single piston in the rear and dual piston in the front. I can post some close up pictures of them at little later.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:11 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Yes, post the pictures. I am currently using my Vette for my daily driver, so I can simply look through the wheel spokes and see if mine look the same as your pictures.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:17 PM
FBConvert

So I know it has been a while since my last post but my garage is finally done and I have started test fitting the front part of the suspension. I also got my rims in. I decided to go with the trackstars from TSW. they are a 5x120 bolt pattern 17x8 inch wheel with a 40mm offset. The tires are 245/45/17 and are a perfect fit for the rim. As you can see from the pictures it is looking very promising. especially since I don't even have my fender flares on the front. It appears I do not need to worry about making it any more narrow. I may actually need to get some spacers to decrease the offset on the wheels to make it sit out more for my front fender flares. The big problem is how can I lower it. I didn't take a good side profile picture but it is obvious that I will need to cut into the frame if I want to get it any lower. I will be posting pics as I go but for now I hope you enjoy these.

Just a conceptual drawing of the car I did using paint.net

How I want the car to sit. Notice my garage is now sheet rocked and insulated

after removing the shock towers

Corvette front end in place. I had to use a hydraulic spreader bar to increase the width of the frame rails less than half a inch. it is tight but it fits!

Driver side profile shot with the c4 suspension.

Passenger side profile shot with the c4 suspension.

Like I said it is sitting a little high so i need to think about my next step. However I couldn't be more thrilled that it is not too wide!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Wow man, this is going to be SICK ride. I can picture where your going and its going to be NUTS.

LOVE the C4 suspension idea, I had a 93' vett back in the day and that suspension stuck that car to the road like a go-cart.

Dont listen to any BS from jealous members that are too afraid to touch anything but bolt on's. Its these undertakings that show others what can be done when you combine skill and creativity!

Nice work!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:11 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Only thing i would add is a support bar on the front of the frame rail.Start where the radiator support is curve it up and tie in to the firewall.Besides that everything looks great so far.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Only thing i would add is a support bar on the front of the frame rail.Start where the radiator support is curve it up and tie in to the firewall.Besides that everything looks great so far.
Good idea.

FBC - You'd want to triangulate everything so that you don't have tubes and small pieces of OE structure flexing independently of one another, so I'd tie another tube in to brace the bend back to where the suspension crossmember attaches, and another from the suspension crossmember back to the node where the upper tube meets the firewall as well. (I did see your pictures last night at home, but I can't see them here at the office so I can't offer much more than that.)

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-19-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Hes got a lot of room for bracing under the hood and got the time to do it right.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:59 PM
FBConvert

This is the type of bracing I have been considering. I also want to add the sub frame connecting rails and torque boxes but I am taking it one task at a time.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yeah that's what i was talking about,Maybe a little taller with more support pieces under it and a tie in for a cross bar over the engine.I would be really temped to put a ls1 in it just to mess with people.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:51 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Those wheels look pretty awesome never seen anybody put anything like that on a fastback but would look really nice with some big rotors and nice callipers.

Is the car going to be that maroon color when all is siad and done?

Nice progress on the c4 suspension btw!

Quick Reply: Corvette C4 suspension in a 65 Mustang.