Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ujoint Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:56 PM
90RunnerRed
2nd Gear Member

Default Ujoint Help

So I've been to 5 parts stores today and I can't seem to find the correct u joint. This is for an original 1965 289 4-speed car with an open 8" rear. I'm trying to find the front u joint. My problem is the u joint I pulled out has 2 outside locking cups that measure 1 1/16" and these are what went into the yoke, and it has 2 inside locking cups that measure 1" and these are what went into the driveshaft. Anyone ever heard of this? The u joint I pulled out of it is a Spicer 349, but I can't find it or a cross reference for it. Any help would be appreciated. The car has 85K original miles so I wouldn't think the shaft or yoke would have been replaced or hodgepodged but you never know.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Your parts counter people fail. Two minutes with the u-joint and a pair of calipers and I'd have you the one you need, or at least know the # to order. All good u-joint books have dimensions and spec pages in them somewhere.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:20 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Glazier Nolan has the unusual front joint you require.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
90RunnerRed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Your parts counter people fail. Two minutes with the u-joint and a pair of calipers and I'd have you the one you need, or at least know the # to order. All good u-joint books have dimensions and spec pages in them somewhere.
I would have thought so too, but it seems like anymore if the computer doesn't just spit out the one and only option they're just not sure what to do. Checker didn't even show that they carried u joints for a 65 Mustang. Anyways, off my soap box now.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
90RunnerRed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Glazier Nolan has the unusual front joint you require.
Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:53 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You'll want to verify this, but I think their G06323 is what you need.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90RunnerRed
I would have thought so too, but it seems like anymore if the computer doesn't just spit out the one and only option they're just not sure what to do. Checker didn't even show that they carried u joints for a 65 Mustang. Anyways, off my soap box now.
Yeah, you have to find someone who can do more than look at a computer screen. Most knowledgeable parts people won't even bother looking in the e-catalog for u-joints. Time to pull the book out.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:59 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Modern parts counter people should be shot for their ineptitude. I refuse to go to Autozone for that reason except for a part that NO ONE ELSE carries. My local NAPA has quite a few guys that go straight for the paper catalog(if they don't know it off the top of their head) before using the computer. Most people working parts these days are absolute morons that probably got fired from their job at McDonalds.

And any driveline shop worth a crap would probably have the u joint you need already in stock.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:49 PM
90RunnerRed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
You'll want to verify this, but I think their G06323 is what you need.
Thanks for looking that up, it is a good starting place for a conversation with them if nothing else.

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Modern parts counter people should be shot for their ineptitude. I refuse to go to Autozone for that reason except for a part that NO ONE ELSE carries. My local NAPA has quite a few guys that go straight for the paper catalog(if they don't know it off the top of their head) before using the computer. Most people working parts these days are absolute morons that probably got fired from their job at McDonalds.

And any driveline shop worth a crap would probably have the u joint you need already in stock.
I found a local drive line shop that carries spicer u joints so I'm going to give them a shot tomorrow after work, if not I'll be giving Glazier Nolan a call.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

They'll probably have it. As a general rule of thumb, Spicer is one of the best, or the best u joint maker....and most DL shops that carry Spicer do so because they understand quality and usually know what they're doing. They'll probably have it in stock, and I'd be shocked if they were unable to help you.

Otherwise Glazier's has it for sure(which is probably made by Spicer).

Quick Reply: Ujoint Help