Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

White smoke (help)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Default White smoke (help)

So I recently purchased a 67 Mustang 289 2V Coupe. Yay for me! Well I have white smoke coming out the tail pipes. When I get on it or just rev the engine the smoke is more apparent. Drove the car over 80 miles, car drives fine no issues other than the smoke and it runs very hot! Car starts right up every time just turn the key, idles fine drives fine. I checked the plugs today looked like normal wear to me but each plug did have oil on them. Need help! Thanks

Brian
Old 06-12-2010, 10:37 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Running rich? Timing?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:45 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Not sure. The vehicle does have a year old Edelbrock 4 barrel carb and manifold. I guess I will have to learn to be handy with a timing gun real soon! Tried to post a pic but apparently I'm not allowed, go figure?

By the way that is one beautiful Fastback!!!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:21 PM
jgstang65
2nd Gear Member

i'm probably wrong but i always thought white smoke was a blown headgasket...and since its running hot, are you looseing coolant ??
Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 AM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jgstang65
i'm probably wrong but i always thought white smoke was a blown headgasket...and since its running hot, are you looseing coolant ??
Yeah once the car gets hot I'm loosing coolant. Keep in mind the radiator seems pretty much shot! It's the original 2 core. I think your right, any tech how to's on changing head gaskets? Engine seems to run just fine minus the white smoke and overheating.

Brian
Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Lots of threads on head gasket replacement... pretty straight forward. I'd stop driving it ASAP so you don't crack a head (assuming is isn't cracked already).
While you have the heads off, you should probably get a valve job, new seals, etc. As long as you have the top end torn apart, it's a worthwhile endeavor to prevent more headaches down the road. If the heads are cracked, might be time to upgrade. At a minimum, you should have the heads magnafluxed at a competent machine shop. Also, pay attention to the head gaskets as they WILL fit backwards, but will block coolant passages when installed that way. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I don't think we can just assume that he has a blown head gasket. Typically if the head gasket is blown one or more of the spark plus will be perfectly clean. That will be a the cylinder with the leak. BTW that is steam that comes out not smoke when you have a blown head gasket.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:43 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
Lots of threads on head gasket replacement... pretty straight forward. I'd stop driving it ASAP so you don't crack a head (assuming is isn't cracked already).
While you have the heads off, you should probably get a valve job, new seals, etc. As long as you have the top end torn apart, it's a worthwhile endeavor to prevent more headaches down the road. If the heads are cracked, might be time to upgrade. At a minimum, you should have the heads magnafluxed at a competent machine shop. Also, pay attention to the head gaskets as they WILL fit backwards, but will block coolant passages when installed that way. Good luck!
Definitely not driving the car it's just in the garage bought it as a project not a daily driver, even that would be nice. I have been searching the threads for write ups on head gaskets but cant seem to find any useful info. I can be handy with a wrench but it has been awhile so I am a bit rusty.

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
I don't think we can just assume that he has a blown head gasket. Typically if the head gasket is blown one or more of the spark plus will be perfectly clean. That will be a the cylinder with the leak. BTW that is steam that comes out not smoke when you have a blown head gasket.
When I changed the plugs yesterday every plug had oil them around the threads.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

The exhaust will have a burnt syrupy smell too if it's burning coolant. It's coming out of both exhaust? Does it have straight duals or a duals with a crossover connecting the pipes.

Gray oil smoke seems to linger and smell like a lawn boy engine. Stand behind it and you'll say "I just got done cutting the grass" for oil and "Mmmmmmmmmm someone is making waffles" for coolant.

The running hot could be something else or it could be a head gasket indeed. I would't jump the gun and replace them without pinning it down.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:19 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
The exhaust will have a burnt syrupy smell too if it's burning coolant. It's coming out of both exhaust? Does it have straight duals or a duals with a crossover connecting the pipes.

Gray oil smoke seems to linger and smell like a lawn boy engine. Stand behind it and you'll say "I just got done cutting the grass" for oil and "Mmmmmmmmmm someone is making waffles" for coolant.

The running hot could be something else or it could be a head gasket indeed. I would't jump the gun and replace them without pinning it down.
It's definitely smells like "I just got done cutting the grass". It has straight duals no H-pipe. The exhaust is new from the original headers back, running 40 series flowmasters.

As for the running hot it has a brand new water pump replaced about a year ago with a new clutch assembly and fan. also the thermostat was changed but not sure to what degree, probably 180. It does have a fan shroud, radiator is original 2 core.

Quick Reply: White smoke (help)