Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 roadster smog?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:31 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

Default 67 roadster smog?

I have a fully built 357 windsor in my 89 lx and i want to save up money and put that engine in a kit car im thinking about buying along with all the other goodies i can transfer over

now for california =( there is a SPCNS Certificate of Sequence.

An SPCNS Certificate of Sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose emission control inspection based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. The certificate is issued by DMV Headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

Per statute, only 500 certificates can be issued in a calendar year. Once the yearly allotment has been issued, applicants must wait until the following year to apply for a certificate.

SPCNS Certificates of Sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. The seller of a vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS Certificate of Sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents. In addition, fees deposited in one year cannot be held over for the next year's allocation of certificates.

My question is since 500 aplicants get the certificant per year, if i do get one
am i able to drop my built 357w into my newly built kit car and drive it legaly without smog laws trying to strangle me?

What im getting from this is yes i can get away with it, i have to ask the BAR referee to smog by the year of the model-body which in this case is in 67. Does this sound corect?
im just trying to enjoy driving my car as all hobbyist do and avoid the headache =]
any reply would help
Old 06-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

Being in Cali, check with the referee before you do something!!!! All my stuff is 1974 and older so I don't have to smog it. The last vehicle I bought, I didn't require smog because it was older than 74. Logically, you shouldn't have to smog it but........ this commie state will try to hit you up for something. If possible, register the 67 before you do the swap so you WON"T have to smog. Good luck!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 AM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

ya good call, well i believe i need to take it to the bar ref, and i have no other engine besides my 357. Im for sure going to ask the referee, but i wanted to see other peoples opinions.
People have said that they will judge it based on the year of model body, if engine cannot be classified as a manufactured engine etc etc, so they mark it at 1965 i believe and slap the sticker on.

as long as the engine is not older then the car and that model year doesnt have smog equipent and i dont recall it does since it was originally a kit car and not mas produced, i think im in the clear. i love my dear fox body, but being on restriction unable to drive it is like pulling teeth =P

The only thing thats been floating around gving me second thoughts is, somone said on a thread the the engine needs to be smoged bassed on its year compiled together?!?! but the senate bill 100 devalidates that with the model year exception if the engine cannot be classified with the car , thats were im confused.
But even that is confusing because wasnt the roadster a 427 and the 351 was a derrivitive from it hahahah.
But like you said ill probley call the kit shop tommorow see if they know, then call commie headquarters in sacromento and see what the bar says
Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by redemption
But even that is confusing because wasnt the roadster a 427 and the 351 was a derrivitive from it
Um, no. The 427 is an FE engine, and the 351 was a 302 with the deck raised 1". Nothing in common at all.

Of course, the 351W (1969) comes from the 302 (1968) which comes from the 289 (1963), 260 (1962) and 221 (1962).
Old 06-13-2010, 08:19 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yeah do a lot of reading first even if its a 67 shelby ac cobra some states make you smog a kit car since its brand new.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Many Ford cars had smog systems in 67. Heck, part-way through the year, they had to start putting smog pumps on the 289 High Performance.

Tell the referee your car uses the IMCO system, which was Ford's way of avoiding the smog pump. It stands for IMproved COmbustion, and was simply a very carefully specified and tuned engine/carb/ignition setup to reduce emissions.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

To answer your question, yes, it is possible to put that motor in a kit car and not have to smog it. The trick is getting one of the 500 certificates per year. You better be at the DMV when the doors open on January 1st, and even then you're not guaranteed to get one.

But once you get that certificate, the car is registered as a '67. It will forever be fall under '67 smog laws. You'll have to take it to a smog ref once to confirm, but you'll never have to bring it in for smog again (unless you get a smog fix-it ticket and the court requires you to bring it in).
Old 06-13-2010, 06:08 PM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

thanks man you my hero, trust me i would be at the front door 2 days in advance haha. umm far fetched but doesnt anyone off hand know the 67 smog laws for the roadster?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yes I'm not actually a smog tech (MBDiagMan is), but I've been through both basic and advanced classes and am pretty familiar with the smog laws.

In CA, 1976 and newer cars are required to be brought in for smog checks every other year. Cars older than that do not have mandatory biannual inspections.

That said, cars built in CA all the way back to 1966 (1968 for the rest of the US, iirc) were originally built to conform to smog regulations and therefore fall under federal smog laws. This means that it is technically illegal to alter any part of the vehicle's emission system. It also means that if you pass a mobile highway onramp sniffer (there are some in Sac and some in LA) and set off alarm bells, the DMV can require you to take the vehicle in to a ref for a smog inspection.

For your purposes, this means that the motor has to have all of the smog equipment that came on an original 1967 (Cobra, I would assume) roadster. This is most likely limited to a closed crankcase evap system and functioning pcv system. I can't recall for sure, but I believe it also has to pass a very lax sniffer test on first inspection. This means you may have to hold off on a lumpy cam until after you get it to pass inspection

Last edited by Starfury; 06-14-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 AM
redemption
3rd Gear Member

i seee, very imformative thank you so much. i dont know if i want to remove my cam yikes, but ill retard the timing, drain the fuel cell put some of that "pass one stop" stuff in haha and lean it out for that day, along with a oil change. But hey man ill probley pm you later down the road not soon at all i dont have any money =P
Just throwing down some ideas, Trying to not waste a freshly built engine
Thanks again =]

Quick Reply: 67 roadster smog?