Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Clutch pedal has a grinding feel to it

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 PM
gordandmichele

Default Clutch pedal has a grinding feel to it

1966 289 4-speed.

Replaced the clutch, pilot bearing and machined the flywheel in August 2009. Mechanic said throwout bearing was fine and didn't need replacing. Everything was OK last fall, until I put it on the road this spring.

When I push the clutch right to the floor, I feel a kind of grinding vibration in the pedal. No noise, just a feel. When I let the clutch out a bit, it goes away, then returns when I let it out a bit more, then disappears when the clutch is fully engaged. So, starting at the floor, it's grind, calm, grind, then calm the rest of the way out.

I have no problem shifting whatsoever. No stiffness, no gear grinding, nothing.

Also, the clutch seems to be fully disengaged in the "calm" area before the pedal gets to the floor. That is, I don't have to push the pedal all the way down to shift gears.

The car is perfectly driveable, but the feel really bothers me and it doesn't seem right that the clutch should be fully disengaged before the pedal hits the floor. It's about 3 inches away.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Mine acts similar...sometimes more noticable then others. I think it has more to do with the Z bar being attached to the block on one side and the other to the frame more then an actual clutch issue. I have a stage 3 Centerforce clutch. I really think its just engine vibration.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 PM
gordandmichele

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
Mine acts similar...sometimes more noticable then others. I think it has more to do with the Z bar being attached to the block on one side and the other to the frame more then an actual clutch issue. I have a stage 3 Centerforce clutch. I really think its just engine vibration.
It doesn't feel like an engine vibration. I'd describe it as kind of a "scratchy" feel.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Gun Jam

Sounds like its okay for now. Just ignore it until it gets worse and you find the problem or it goes away.

Im sure the throwout bearing looked great. That's one of the things you always replace when you do clutch work.

-Gun
Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 AM
1969boss302

Check the bushing for the clutch pedal under the dash. There is a pair of metal bushings pressed into the pedal support, and there are nylon inserts that sit between these bushings and the pedal support rod. They have been known to wear out excessively and could be causing what you are feeling. I have seen more than a few where the metal bushing has comletely worn out and the pedal rod has cut deeply into the pedal support. When this happens there is misalignment which could explain what you describe.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 AM
gordandmichele

Default More information....

After a lot of testing and trial and error, it seems that this condition only occurs after the car has been driven for a while and everything is warmed up. When the car is cold, all seems completely normal. Does that confirm anyone's suspicions, or does it lead in a different direction?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:45 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Is it a diapghragm or three finger type pressure plate?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 AM
gordandmichele

Default Diaphragm or 3 finger?

Diaphragm. It's from NPD - part number 7550-5DK.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Check the clutch pedal bushings. Get under the dash and see if there's play in the clutch pedal shaft where it goes through the support under the dash. If there is then the grinding is metal/metal contact at the pivot point, and the pivot shaft is likely worn. Replace it with a new shaft/roller bearing setup.

It's a common problem with a 40+ year old moving part.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Check the clutch pedal bushings. Get under the dash and see if there's play in the clutch pedal shaft where it goes through the support under the dash. If there is then the grinding is metal/metal contact at the pivot point, and the pivot shaft is likely worn. Replace it with a new shaft/roller bearing setup.

It's a common problem with a 40+ year old moving part.
where to get roller bearings for that? I have to replace my shaft soon. whereever the z-bar is sitting in. as of now i just have useless/broken bushings

for the OP: check when someone else presses slowly, not that the z-bar is hitting headers during travel, that will cause vibration, could be interpreted as grinding

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal has a grinding feel to it