Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fuel - Carb stall out issue??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Not sure how old the tank is but she ran good today so I def hoping that was it.

Its actually been starting "hard" for awhile but it just turned right over the last 2 days, would that lead you to think that a dirty filter was giving me a hard start, 2-3 times b4 turning over???
Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That could have been it.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:32 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

#&%$*%^(^, did it again this morning.

Its been riding fine since the new filter was installed and then today, sputter, started to turn around to head home and STALL, she started right up, gassed it a bit and she made it home with no issues, running good again....

What can it be, would high heat cause vapor lock or any other stall issue, its over 90 today and was just as hot the 1st time it did it? or start looking at the fuel pump/tank/carb???
Old 07-18-2010, 10:07 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I would remove the fuel filler neck and look down into the tank. Its easy and free to check. Then you can rule that out.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

OK, you guys might think this is a dumb one but it cured my prob too! Take the gas cap off and try driving and see if it still does it. I bought a new gas cap and I guess the vent on it wasn't drilled or something but that was the prob. I removed the gasket and no more problem. I should have known when going to the gas station, turning the cap, I would get a vacuum sound! It was creating a vacuum in the tank and preventing the gas from going forward. I have a mechanical AND an electric on it and still had the prob till I removed that gasket. Our cars NEED a vented cap to equalize the pressure since we don't have a return line.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:44 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Well did it again on Sat, checked everything from tank to carb, fuel is getting to the carb, ran some carb cleaner thru her and same thing, was thinking of looking into a carb rebuild but was told it would be worth the $20 bucks to rule out the pump, removed and some rubberrized cunk came out, replaced with new one but havent gotten a chance to run her yet, hope t does it. The pump was replaced 4 years ago when I had the rebuild, just assumed it would still be good but we will see...
Old 08-03-2010, 04:59 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Hopefully the pump will fix it. I agree though, at least that should rule that out as the issue.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
jasond393
1st Gear Member

I had the exact same symptoms as you in my 68. What happened on mine was where the fuel line went through the torque box on the left side of the car it had rusted and had a pin hole in it. The pump would pull fuel, but also air and after I drove it for a few miles the air would overcome the fuel. I would pull off the road, let it sit for 10-20 mins, start it up and go until it quit again. I found it by unhooking the fuel line where it feeds the pump, blowing compressed air into it and listening for air leaks.

Just an idea if the pump dosent fix your problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:05 AM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Well the pump wasnt the issue, car stalled out again today, same spot, Im getting out about 5-6 miles from the house and spytter, sputter, side of the road. Sprayed some started fluid in her, turned over and limp home again with stopping 2 more times.

So am I down to the carb, rebuild time? Gas is getting to thru the from the tank, pump, filter up to the carb, according to the spray I saw last week.

Going away in the morn, so it wil have to wait till next week.

Jason, I wil try and look for a leake as well, how far were you getting b4 stalling??

Thanksagain for all the input....
Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

Try driving with the as cap off........ it caused a vacuum in my tank and had the same prob. The gasket was too tight and the vent was plugged.......

Quick Reply: Fuel - Carb stall out issue??