Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Surging pony (Edelbrock carb)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 PM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Default Surging pony (Edelbrock carb)

Well I finally got home last night and today I took my car to the local small town car show. The car looks great, but driving it is a bit of a chore...
I have an Edelbrock 625cfm carb on there, which I had rebuilt about 8 months ago, then had to clean it out once after initially installing it, and cleaned it again today (or at least I removed it and sprayed the hell out of it with carb cleaner).
The car surges and stumbles from idle to maybe 1000 RPMs (no tach- purely guessing) then it seems like the secondaries kick in real early and he car launches. It smells like it is running real rich. I tried to play around with the two screws on the front of my carb (assuming they are the air/fuel mixture screws. I think I even made the stumbling a little worse. That else can I do? What are the steps fot tuning of a carter/Edelbrock carb? I replaced the fuel filter too.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

What's your ignition timing and are you certain you have no vacuum leaks?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Not sure what the timing is set at... I'll have to get a light and check it out. I don't hear any vacuum leaks, but haven't sprayed anything around the maifold yet either. The only vacuum accessory I really have is the vacuum advance. I really tend to think it is a carb issue, and in any case, it is running really rich (exhaust smells of gas really bad).
Old 06-27-2010, 05:50 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

90% of carburetion problems are actually ignition problems.

Also, what do the plugs look like?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

I took the car over to my buddy's house yesterday and we checked it out... timing at 12 degrees, no vacuum leaks, no misfires. took the carb apart and checked everything out and cleaned it again. We even put a holley off the shelf on the car, which sounded a lot better, so it is definately a carb issue. Eventually after a few more beers, we noticed that one of the fuel squirters was kind of dribbling fuel instead of spraying it.... It wasn't clogged or anything, so the tip on it must be damaged somehow. I guess I could find just a new squirter to replace the bad one with, but yesterday was the last day of Autozone's 30% off sale so I ordered a new one for me and got my buddy one too (they'll be in today and he is paying me for his on Friday). I'll be able to throw the new one on there later this morning and I'll post the results when I get a chance... If it's running well I will most likely be out driving it all day!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If the squirter is dribbling fuel when it's running it could be a vacuum pullover issue at the nozzle tip, that you can't really do anything about. You might also want to make sure the pump parts are working and sealing properly, it could just have a bad seal.

And you could also tear the whole carb down and blast the channels out with air and brake cleaner. The 2 screws on an Eddy near the main boosters come out and you can remove the whole booster/emulsion system and clean it out.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i think the pump dribbled when he squirted. not sure. so what did you end up buying (two off)?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 PM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

I got 2 of the same Edelbrocks... the newer version of what I already had. 1406's. I couldn't pass up that deal... I wanted to get a Demon but the $$ savings was considerable.
Took the car in to the alignment shop today and got it done, as well as changed out the rear diff fluid (old stuff was NASTY). I think I put about 60 miles on the car today. Really a joy to drive, and gets even better the more I do to it.
The next few days I plan on replacing the master cylinder (it's been leaking apparently, and allowing moisture in-nasty fluid), install my stereo, install sub frame connectors, fix turn signal cam and horn wiring and give it a good bath. Man it's nice to be home!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Tomahawk715
1st Gear Member

On your mastercylinder issue--I'd check the lid before I replaced the whole thing. Brake fluid is hygroscopic-- which means it tends to absorb moisture out of the air over time. Thats why the bottle says discard unused portion after opening. Plus no one ever changes the fluid like your supposed to--5 years tops. I'd do a good brake bleeding until you got fresh fluid all around--then make sure the springs are good and tight--if not give em a little bend so they seal down better. Reman masters never seem as good as originals--crappy castings.