Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Darren 72

Vehicle: 1972 Ford Mustang
Default Two problems

I just bought a 72 Mach 1 351 2V converted to 4V w/ Edelbrock set up 600cfm.
I went to time the engine and found the distributor to be seized. I can't get it to move. I believe the 72's are clockwise. I even tried a little english with a pipe wrench and it won't budge. I took off the bolt and clip that holds it in place.

The second issue is the kick down rod from the tranny (FMX). I found it hanging. I hooked it up on the linkage with the accel. cable and it is shifting two high. Not sure how to adjust it. It seems like there is something misssing from the carb. for this set-up? There was no adjusting screw. I put one in but it didn;t seem to help. I got it to shift less hard but it wasn't coming into second until 3000rpm's.

Novice help!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Darren 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 69 Mach1

I had to create an extension for my kickdown rod to be adjustable for my non-standard intake/carb. The shift point can also be adjusted with the vacuum modulator set screw on the tranny.
Free bump...
69Mach1 - warmed up 395W and Gforce T5 with hydraulic clutch, 3.50:1 posi, rack&pinion/tilt, 17x8/235s (2003) Mach1 Rims front & 17x9/275s rear, all MSD, Holley 750, custom paint, Shelby drop, Hotwheels scale is 1 to 1.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v618/danaranda/69stang
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
hotrod351
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1970 coupe

theres also a adjustment in the vacuum downshift module, its done with a tiny screw driver. i know if its been messed with that it will shift early or late, just a thought.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
kalli
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1964, Ford, Mustang

for the distributor. remove the clamp first obviously.
when the distributor is seized in there, it is utmost important that you get the distributor to turn first. it can turn clockwise and anticlockwise. the direction you metion is only the direction the rotor in there will turn. body can (must) move in both directions to be able to adjust timing.
If it sezed one of the following usually helps:
- crap loads of antiseize oil around the base over night. I once used a completey soaked old rag around it over night
- apply heat
- brute force
however don't use any brute force up and down, it will brake in your hands. get it to rotate first! once it rotates you wioll have no problem pulling it out
CSRP disc brakes front and FRPP discs back.
http://www.gascc.ie

kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:07 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1970, color, fmx, kick, modulator, mustang, rod, stripe, vacuum