Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 AM
64mustangpower

Default 289 idle issues

I have a 1964 1/2 mustang, but it has a 65 model year 289. I have a 1403 electric choke 500 cfm edelbrock carburetor. The issue i am having is that it will not idle what so ever. when it is started if you can get it off idle it runs ok, but lean back fires sometimes. I have rebuilt the carburetor and it ran fine for about 2 days. Checked every vacuum hose for a leak, including the vacuum booster for the brakes. Because of it lack of the ability to idle i cannot get an accurate vacuum gauge reading, but what i do get is around the 8-12 inches and very erratic. I am also not quite sure if the overheating problem i am having is related to the idling issue or not. That could just be caused by the lean fuel mixture when off idle. Fuel pump was replaced 2 months ago. It has no miles on it since the car wont run, but i would say about 2 hours of total run time after isntallation. I do not have a compression guage to check the compression so i dont have any numbers. Last time it was checked it had about 140-150 psi per cylinder(that was bout 4500 miles ago). I have been fighting this issue for about 6 months now. Any ideas or requests for more information would be greatly apprectiated. Also if you need more information just ask for it, if i have it i will provide you with it.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Is your carb tuned correctly?

At what rpm will it continue to run?

What do the plugs look like?

What is your idle ignition timing?

Do you have the plugs wired to the distributor in the correct order?

You say you have check the vacuum hoses. That is not the only place that can cause a vacuum leak. Have you done the carb cleaner spray test?

Have you replaced the fuel filter?

How old is the gas and could it have water in it?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:20 PM
64mustangpower

the carb is set back to the base settings. i would have to say it will run around 1500 rpm. havent checked the plugs yet. ignition timing is set at the stock 6 degrees btdc. i have replaced the fuel filter when i replaced the fuel pump. it has the cartridge style attached the pump. i have sprayed the intake base of the carb down and still no change in the way the engine runs. the gas is a couple of months old. but with todays gas it is a possiblity that it has gone bad and im not sure if it has water in it or not.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Tomahawk715
1st Gear Member

Are you running a vacuum advance distributor still?? Do you have the line hooked to the correct port?? Those Eddy carbs have a timed and full idle vacuum port on the front--along with the EGR hook up.

I had a sbc motor in an old Kaiser M715 I had--put one of those carbs on--couldnt get it to idle at all--switched from the full idle vac to the timed and it ran fine. Motors take one or the other and will run like **** at idle most the time if they are on the wrong one.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:13 AM
64mustangpower

I do have a vacuum advanced distributor but it is no longer points and condenser i have changed it to electronic ignition. Which i havent had the oppurtunity to rule the elecronics out yet. They could be causing my problems too. I am running it off the ported vacuum port on the front of the carb. It is the one port that is above the butterflies. The manifold vacuum port i have going to my modulator valve in the transmission. It has ran fine off the ported vacuum port until the car sat for about 2 and a half months. Now it just will not idle. I have torn the carb down to just the mainbody and completely cleaned it then rebuilt it. I am thinking about finding a carb that buddy has and trying it out to see if it solves any porblems.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I know little to nothing about Eddy carbs, but have tuned Holleys a bunch. One thing I know is that they never run right in stock positions! I would think you are in need of a carb tune up and AFR verification. They are not plug and play. It might not be your issue, but you have to eliminate that as an issue before you look for something that is broken. Ported vacuum is fine but manifold vacuum will give you more timing at idle. Have you verified that your plug wires and distributor are in the right order and phased/indexed correctly?

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 07-08-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:10 PM
64mustangpower

the plugs and wires are all good. i have checked them i dont know how many times. i a, pretty sure it is a fuel delivery issue since the carb was blocked up before the rebuild. i was looking at diagrams today and i think i might have found something but i havent gotten home to check it out yet.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM
64mustangpower

ok after some cheking the past month since being on here. i decided to re-rebuild the carb. set the float levels and all that jazz. put it back on and the car started up and ran beautiful after it was primed. but i still have a lean back fire up through the carb. the only issue is that the plugs are fuel fouling. plus i am having low vacuum reading. around 9-10 in Hg at ilde. living in florida at sea level it should be at least 16 in Hg. any i deas as to what would cause this low of a vacuum reading?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

if you get that lean backfire one quick accelleration (quick throttle wide open no gear) then your timing might be retarded too much. retarded timing can cause low vac readings as well. what is your timing set to (at idle with vac advance disconneted and plugged)?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 AM
64mustangpower

the timing is set to the stock 6* btdc. i am going to check the timing 1 more time to make sure it has not jumped timing. since sometimes after shtting it down it diesels. a problem i had in my maverick before i rebuilt the engine in it.

Quick Reply: 289 idle issues