Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

re-charging a/c problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 12:34 AM
markrazz
1st Gear Member

Default re-charging a/c problem

i replaced the compressor inmy 69 351 yesterday..i got the atachments to add new freon into the unit but it doesnt seem to wanna enter the system..im using a can of oil-freon stop leak ,mix, and adding it with a hose..heres the compressor and the blue cap is where i tried to connect hose with new connectors to add freon mixture..it connects but doesnt go into the system..any ideas>?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:36 AM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: re-charging a/c problem

Did you make sure to open the valve?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:49 AM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

I've seen kits for those. There's something in the kit to creat a vacuum in the ac system so it will pull in the freon from the can.

IMO, for all the aggravation of doing this yourself on a completly empty AC system, it would be better to take it to a shop that does AC work.

Adding a can or two to at home to a working system is much easier than to a dry system.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yep, 73 Cleveland is right. Stop what you are doing, and take it to an airconditioning place and have them do it right. First of all, you most likely don't have the vacuum equipment, and secondly, there are environmental laws that have to be adhered to. Do yourself a favor, and get it done right with a pro who has all the right equipment and knows how to use it. You will save yourself some grief and most likely some money in the long run.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:43 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Good advice above!

A quality shop will try and talk you into replacing the reciever dryer. I would highly suggest you do this. They should also tell you never to use that "oil-fill-leak-detector-super-wonderful-snake-oil-in-a-can-stuff". It's garbage!
The compressor should have come filled, or they should have supplied the oil and the directions on how to fill it.
Your receiver/dryer, is a depository for the original oil. So you end up with more oil than you should have. That takes the place of refridgerant, which is what makes your system cold. Then on top you are going to add even more oil to the system. Bad ju-ju!!!

They will have hand held leak detectors so you don't need a bunch of dye in the system leaking out that brand new compressor shaft seal (that takes about 10 hours run time to fully seal) and getting all over your hood.

Replace the receiver/dryer, evacuate the system for a good 40 minutes plus, then have it charged with the proper type refridgerant and nothing else. A leak check, and follow up in a week or so with the compressor main seal leak check, and a final pressure test.

That will give you the best cooling efficiency possible.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:36 AM
markrazz
1st Gear Member

i aprieciate all the info and understand that an a/c tech is the way to go,but i called around and they want $400 to do the above..i thought id give it a try myself first since i dont have the extra $$ floatin around right now..was planning on only adding 1 can stop leak and oil and the rest freon..will look into getting a new dryer first i guess..thanx all,,