Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:12 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmaki
I find a little funny that you are concerned about the original radio after all the mods you've done. It does look good though.
I know what she means. I really don't think you can improve on the deluxe interior. It's classy and classic.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:46 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zmetalmilitia
Looking good! What's next?
Well, our fenders need a LOT of work. As tempting as it has been to buy repops, we have been told by numerous people how horrible the fitment is... even original Ford tooling supposedly aren't much better. So while Aaron patches and welds and grinds on the fenders, I'll be starting the body work in the engine bay. Lots of work ahead of us.

Mr.Velocity, looking forward to seeing Pics! Please keep us updated.

As far as the radio, I guess maybe it sounds hypacritical, but keeping the interior as close to original 67 deluxe as possible has been my goal. The only modification that will be made to the interior are those which are specific to Eleanor, such as the steering wheel, go-baby-go shifter, nitrous switch plate and tach. I want it to look like a "hotrodded" 67 GT500 from the era, which is what Eleanor was afterall. With the exception of this radio, this is what the interior will look like.

Thanks again for the encouragement. This is a lot of work.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Watching you build your Eleanor makes me want to build one. You two are doing some awesome work and it will be awesome just from the attention to detail you are putting into it. I wish my rebuild of my 69 was going as fast but since I do not have the tools or knowledge yet to do it myself I'm in line behind a few other cars.

I've said it before but I love the Lecarra Wheel that you chose. Friend of mine did the same thing when he built his 67 convertible Shelby clone. I went with the leather wrapped one for the 69.

Do you plan on just using a dash speaker up front to keep it closer to original or do you plan on adding the kickpanels that have the speakers hidden behind it? I'm just curious since you said you'll go with a hidden aftermarket radio in the dash if you plan to add some updated speakers for music or just use the engine for your tunes.

Great job so far and I love all the updates. Someday I hope to post as quickly as you two are doing on this one. By the way have you decided what you'll do with the other 67 you bought? Sorry for all the questions but been busy the past few weeks with work and getting ready to go back to school again for a different degree.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:15 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

quick question how do those full quarters fit do they line up nice.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69FB
Watching you build your Eleanor makes me want to build one. You two are doing some awesome work and it will be awesome just from the attention to detail you are putting into it. I wish my rebuild of my 69 was going as fast but since I do not have the tools or knowledge yet to do it myself I'm in line behind a few other cars.

I've said it before but I love the Lecarra Wheel that you chose. Friend of mine did the same thing when he built his 67 convertible Shelby clone. I went with the leather wrapped one for the 69.

Do you plan on just using a dash speaker up front to keep it closer to original or do you plan on adding the kickpanels that have the speakers hidden behind it? I'm just curious since you said you'll go with a hidden aftermarket radio in the dash if you plan to add some updated speakers for music or just use the engine for your tunes.

Great job so far and I love all the updates. Someday I hope to post as quickly as you two are doing on this one. By the way have you decided what you'll do with the other 67 you bought? Sorry for all the questions but been busy the past few weeks with work and getting ready to go back to school again for a different degree.
Thank you so much for all of the kind words. You are doing a nice job on your project, it is quite the learning experience and a lot of work. In the end it will be nice to look back and know that you did it yourself. Keep up the great work. As for our progress, I have to owe it to my husband, he is very talented and a hard worker. I am fortunate that we have the tools and lots of connections to get the job done.

We will either keep the dash speaker or consider kick panels with speakers. Not sure if I like the fact of seeing the speakers in the kick panels or if there is a better way to hide them. I would like the stereo to be as concealed as possible.

We don't know what we're going to do with the other car yet. We can let it sit while hopefully appreciating in value, we could try and flip it, we could hold on to it and restore it over time.. we don't know yet. I'm up for trades if anything ever came up.

Originally Posted by jp1967stang
quick question how do those full quarters fit do they line up nice.
Yeah, they are okay - but with everything, they needed some work and adjusting.

So last night we stopped at our local powder coat shop. We picked out a color for the front and rear suspension, inculding the rear end housing. I don't want to be boring and just do it in black, so I thought maybe this color would give a little contrast. With everything, I'm always scared of making the wrong decision and than regretting later. What do you all think of this color? It is called Silver Vein.

Again, here is the underside of the car:

Here is what will be powdercoated. Everything that is blue in this pic will be coated:

I couldn't find a good pic of the front suspension, so here everything that is black will get coated, plus the spindles. The cradle and entire engine bay will be coated the same as the underneath of the car, black U-Pol Raptor:

Last edited by NoReins; 12-03-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I think that will look VERY cool! Especially with the color theme of the Eleanor!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

IMHO, No matter what color you choose, you'll see something or another color that will make you second guess what you chose. I'm happy with what I chose, but I'll see another cool car and be like, that is really neat looking. I guess I need more cars to paint!

I would go with something that is a little different, but not to far off course. That silver vein stuff looks cool, but the overall look is still black. Nothing wrong with black!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Oh and by the way, I caught Gone in 60 Seconds last night on USA. Every time I see that movie, when they go to steal the '67, I get chills down my spine. I don't care what anyone says, that is a bad-*** car.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:53 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zmetalmilitia
Oh and by the way, I caught Gone in 60 Seconds last night on USA. Every time I see that movie, when they go to steal the '67, I get chills down my spine. I don't care what anyone says, that is a bad-*** car.
Yes, yes she is.

Have I mentioned how much I hate sanding? We are almost ready to shoot the second coat of epoxy primer, but there are still low spots. Ughh. I have a new appreciation for body work, it is not for me, let me tell ya.

Last night we worked on fitting the suspension. My new rear end (haha) will be ready to pick up around the 20th, then we'll take all of the suspension parts to have powdercoated. It is necessary to fit these pieces before powdercoating or painting because they do take some "gentle persuasion."

Old 12-07-2010, 07:35 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoReins
Yes, yes she is.

Have I mentioned how much I hate sanding? We are almost ready to shoot the second coat of epoxy primer, but there are still low spots. Ughh. I have a new appreciation for body work, it is not for me, let me tell ya.
You're not kidding, working on the car became a chore when we were doing body work. Every time we thought we had it just a spray of guide coat told us how wrong we were. I feel your pain

Look at the bright side, once it's done then you can start assembly. We're actually having fun on our build now, spending too much money but we're having fun.

Keep up the great work!!! She sure is turning out beautiful.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback