Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Cherrybomber

awesome work there!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

start the pinion angle at -1. I tried everything with my pinion angle to get rid of vibration with the 4 link I built, which is almost identical to yours, and finally read something that fit the bill and the vibration went away.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Hi NoReins, love this build...

You'll need to run enough pinion angle so that when you get on the gas and the rear end wraps up you don't ever go over center. If it goes over center you'll take a chance at slinging the driveshaft. In racing if the pinion angle goes over center we call it 'broken back' alignment. On a circletrack car I run between -6 to -8 degrees because the top link has a built in torque absorber. If your new rear suspension has solid or urethane/graphite bushings you should be able to get away with between -4 to -5 degrees. If you set it static at any number lower than the -4/-5 I think you'll run the risk of getting into positive pinion angle when you get on the gas and the rear end flexes/car squats. It won't hurt to have more negative angle, but it will hurt to have it go positive.

Also get your driveshaft balanced, that's huge cause of vibration that sometimes gets blamed on the rear end.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:56 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys and thank you for the advice on the pinion angle. Heidt's manual says to start with negative 2 degrees and we tried our best to get it very close to that. When we get the rest of the driveline in we will check it again.

We have also been told to be sure the driveshaft is balanced, it seems like little steps like that make all the difference in the way the driveline pans out.

Thanks again guys, more to come!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I've been so busy lately I've missed a lot but now I'm caught up. Love the functional vents and all the work. The suspension and brakes look awesome. Really enjoyed the build and your attention to detail.

Keep up the great work.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thank you. Well today was a good day. After a year and 8 months, she is finally back on her feet. I know that almost all of you can relate to how good this feels

Before we finish up installing the engine braces and sway bar mounts, we wanted to get the suspension and wheels on to make sure we don't have any clearance issues with the tires. After she was on the ground we pushed her out to get a better look. And also since it was 65 degrees, it was a must!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Ya dun got nun doors.
Looks great. When do you think you'll be on the road??
Old 04-09-2011, 05:32 PM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by scootchu
Ya dun got nun doors.
Looks great. When do you think you'll be on the road??
And glass, their missing the glass.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
Ya dun got nun doors.
I hear their Lambo doors are on back order, LOL.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Will I get my @ss kicked if I say I don't like the hood pins? But that's like saying I won't go out with Cindy Crawford because of her mole, lol. I'm just saying the car has that aggressive modern/retro vibe thing going on and the hood pins just shout 80's.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback