Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Old 10-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #61
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

Haven't updated in awhile so here it goes. We've been out of town the past two weekends so the progress has been pretty stagnant. Last weekend we went out to Indiana to pick up the Eleanor body kit. Today our goal was to do the second layer of primer, however as always, time gets the best of you. Here is what we have been working on:

Here is a better picture of the first coat of epoxy primer:

Click the image to open in full size.

These are brand new seat belt anchors welded in, again that is copper weld thru primer - not rust!

We had to fabricate some new brake line brackets, unfortunately the others were beyond repair, and they don't repro these.

We used Tiger Seal here...

Since we replaced the entire floor, we had to re-weld all of the brackets for seats and trim. We took the fold down from the new mustang to measure and make sure each bracket was in the correct location. As tempting as it is to steal the fold down, we are planning on keeping it with the other car but our eyes are open for another.

I had my first experience with Everglass body filler to smooth the seams on the belly. Very cool, I hope it turns out great

Like I said, we made our way out to Indiana to pick up our body kit from Mustangs to Fear. Very exciting!! Unfortunately we have a long ways to go still before we touch it, but it's nice to know it's ready.

We covered up the lights here. We are going to be using the LED Shelby's which do not require cutting the taillight panel as other kits do.

We went to a car show with Mustangs to Fear while we were out there. This car was just painted and assembled for a customer in KY. There was no interior or the GT500 stripes at this time. Here I am, dreaming of it being mine.

Tomorrow we will do #2 coat of epoxy primer, so hopefully more exciting updates to come.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
NoReins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #62
69FB
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 Fastback
https://www.facebook.com/brad.duckworth.773

Great update! I do not know if you've seen the latest Mustang Monthly Magazine (or maybe it's Modified Mustangs and Fords) but there is an Eleanor mustang on the cover. I saw it here at the 45th Mustang show. It was a beautiful car and I know with the work you've done already this one will look awesome.
69FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #63
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

NoReins, you rule...I'm so impressed by your mad skills.

Hector
Galactusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #64
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 71 BOSS

I'm quite impressed for a young husband and wife team. Keep up the good work.
5'Oclocksomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #65
chip_127
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Ford Mustang
Default NICE!!

You look good sitting in that car! hmmm... now how do I get that saved as a desktop background?? lol...
chip_127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #66
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Mustang fastback

Great up-date, keep them coming!

I was wondering what kind of drill bit your using to remove the spot welds? I saw where you were drilling out the welds on the dash/cowl area, never seen one like that. Where can I get one of those, and is that one the best?
bent metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #67
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69FB View Post
Great update! I do not know if you've seen the latest Mustang Monthly Magazine (or maybe it's Modified Mustangs and Fords) but there is an Eleanor mustang on the cover. I saw it here at the 45th Mustang show. It was a beautiful car and I know with the work you've done already this one will look awesome.
Thank you! If you know which mag I would love to see it, I couldn't find it out on the web. I appreciate the kind and encouraging words as I know how some feel about Eleanor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent metal View Post
Great up-date, keep them coming!

I was wondering what kind of drill bit your using to remove the spot welds? I saw where you were drilling out the welds on the dash/cowl area, never seen one like that. Where can I get one of those, and is that one the best?
Here are the bits we used. The third one down is what we bought. Yes, it's expensive but like what others have said in other threads, there are a lot of crappy spot weld cutters out there that are a waste of money and people then just end up just using drill bits. We purchased 1 spot weld cutter from Summit Racing for $25 and it lasted 5 minutes. These ones are a lot better and are definitely worth the price. If you can try to avoid drill bits, do it. It makes it so much easier and helps avoid extra work down the road. Hope this helps!

http://www.woodwardfab.com/sheet_metal_fabricating.htm
Old 10-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #68
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 White Mustang

Sub'd

2006 Mustang V6 PP | C&L CAI | Bama 93 race tune | 14" Shorty Antenna | Eagle GTs | 18" stripe
GT/CS Front Bumper | Bullit Grille | Hawk HPS pads| Slotted and Drilled Rotors | Strano Swaybars
Prothane Motor Mounts | MMD Hood Struts | 55w 5000K HIDs | Poly Bushings

There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark.
MustangFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #69
69FB
4th Gear Member

I do not have the magazine with me but I'll post it later tonight. I can attest to how hard those spot welds are to remove and I broke 2 drill bits trying to remove the ones I did.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #70
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoReins View Post
Thanks guys!!!!

If you can try to avoid drill bits, do it. It makes it so much easier and helps avoid extra work down the road.

I would know....

Thanks for that link though, seeing as I have another coupe I might use in the future, I'm going to order that bit.
hightower2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #71
69FB
4th Gear Member

NoReigns It is the November Issue of Modified Mustangs and Fords. The cover story is the car I saw at the 45th and an Eleanor.

Honestly I liked the Eleanors when they first came out and then there were too many of them. I was getting tired of them till I saw this one. Having said that I've seen them done well and then some that you were not sure if they were finished or not.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #72
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

So we acheived a lot in past two days, and since I feel so good I thought it deserved another update. I'm not a fan of fake scoops so we had planned to do the Shelby brake cooling ducts. We also sprayed the 2nd coat of epoxy, tomorrow we will spray the U-pol Raptor. Here are some pics:

View from the inside of the wheel well:

A couple last shots of what it looked like after the first coat of primer, along with the body filler and seam sealer.

2nd coat of epoxy...

Notice the nice smooth seams...

Here is a shot of one of the air duct all nice and primed:

All for now, thanks for tuning in

Last edited by NoReins; 10-19-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #73
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Sweet! I agree, those brake ducts will be awesome and much better than a strictly cosmetic scoop.

What is your final undercoat going to be? Paint or something like lizard skin/truck bed coat?

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed you're using U-Pol raptor!

Last edited by hightower2011; 10-19-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #74
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 71 BOSS

Wow- you are really taking the time to make things nice on the underside too. Most guys disregard the bottom or just slap layers of undercoating on to cover the rust. You are doing it right. I appreciate you making the scoops functional also. That's an often overlooked detail. People can bash Eleanor cars all they want, but in the end I'm guessing this car will be nicer (and probably have more power!) than the people's cars who dislike anything un-original.
5'Oclocksomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #75
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
NoReigns It is the November Issue of Modified Mustangs and Fords. The cover story is the car I saw at the 45th and an Eleanor.

Honestly I liked the Eleanors when they first came out and then there were too many of them. I was getting tired of them till I saw this one. Having said that I've seen them done well and then some that you were not sure if they were finished or not.
K so I came home from work tonight to find the Nov Issue of Modified Mustangs and Fords on the counter. VERY cool, and VERY neat story! Thank you so much, I'm glad that you shared this with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower2011 View Post
Sweet! I agree, those brake ducts will be awesome and much better than a strictly cosmetic scoop.

What is your final undercoat going to be? Paint or something like lizard skin/truck bed coat?

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed you're using U-Pol raptor!
Thank you!!! And I agree, it only took a couple minutes, why not make them functional??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5'Oclocksomewhere View Post
Wow- you are really taking the time to make things nice on the underside too. Most guys disregard the bottom or just slap layers of undercoating on to cover the rust. You are doing it right. I appreciate you making the scoops functional also. That's an often overlooked detail. People can bash Eleanor cars all they want, but in the end I'm guessing this car will be nicer (and probably have more power!) than the people's cars who dislike anything un-original.
Thanks! That was all really nice and really encouraging to hear. We just want to do it right the first time. I understand how people feel about Eleanor, I really do. Buuuut, hopefully people will be able to see the craftmanship that has gone into this car, the time, and the detail, the thoughts and ideas, and that we did it ourselves. I don't want it to be seen as just another Eleanor, I want it to be right.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #76
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967, Ford, Mustang

Very VERY nice work!!! Keep the updates coming!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #77
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrote5516 View Post
Very VERY nice work!!! Keep the updates coming!
Thank youuu! Here is an update on what we did tonight. We've been chompin at the bit this week, time for a break!!

Sooooo I'm a little picture happy, I can't lie this stuff looks sweeeeet. Now that the bottom is finished, we are going to take a break and then move on to the engine bay.

What do you all suggest we do for the interior as far as final coat? We will be using fatmat or something like that, but as far as spraying a coating we are in need of recommendations!! Thanks in advance
Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #78
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Never thought bed liner could look beautiful, but in this case, it does.

Did it just apply right over the primer or did you have to sand the primer a little? And did you spray it on?

Sorry for the questions, just wanting to learn to do it right when I do it. (I've already made enough mistakes!)
Old 10-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #79
69FB
4th Gear Member

The U-Pol Raptor is a bedliner? Other than protecting it from rust (which is huge on these older mustangs) does it provide any sound deadening? Just curious never heard of this product.

I just recently learned of http://www.fluid-film.com/ fluid film and I cannot remember if it was on this forum or another. But I seem to learn about a new product every few weeks.

Great progress and I love that you're making the air ducts functional. NoReigns I know this car will be great just like the one on the cover of Modified Mustangs.

I look forward to seeing it someday. Maybe on the Hot Rod Power Tour or at some big car show.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #80
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower2011 View Post
Never thought bed liner could look beautiful, but in this case, it does.

Did it just apply right over the primer or did you have to sand the primer a little? And did you spray it on?

Sorry for the questions, just wanting to learn to do it right when I do it. (I've already made enough mistakes!)
Thanks Yup, just scuffed the primer up with 80 grit (this was hard for me to do because it looked so pretty haha) and then we sprayed 3 coats on. You have to wait at least 40 minutes between each coat BUT you have to spray each of them on while it's still sticky. Don't spray a coat, let it dry a day and then do another a day later- it won't work. We used three of the bottles for the bottom. Here is the link for the product:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/U-Pol...motiveQ5fTools

Btw, you are doing a good job on your project. Everything is a learning experience so don't get upset. If you aren't sure about something before you do it, just ask - everyone seems very helpful and willing to give advice on this forum.

Quote:
The U-Pol Raptor is a bedliner? Other than protecting it from rust (which is huge on these older mustangs) does it provide any sound deadening? Just curious never heard of this product.

I just recently learned of http://www.fluid-film.com/ fluid film and I cannot remember if it was on this forum or another. But I seem to learn about a new product every few weeks.

Great progress and I love that you're making the air ducts functional. NoReigns I know this car will be great just like the one on the cover of Modified Mustangs.

I look forward to seeing it someday. Maybe on the Hot Rod Power Tour or at some big car show.
Yes it's a bedliner. I don't believe it really helps with sound deadening but I think we are going to use it on the interior because we liked it so much. It's easy to apply, inexpensive compared to other products and looks coooool.

Thanks for the encouraging words, not sure if she'll be a covergirl but we're doing our best to make her a show stopper. BTW, I'm up for trades for our other 68 if you get tired of your 69 fb
Old 10-21-2010, 02:05 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1968, 200, 68, 71, classic, down, fastback, fold, ford, i6, lines, mustang, mustangs, non, project, sale, vacuum, woman