Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
We also did bedliner on the bottom but chose SEM, mostly because I have a distributor that's close to home. We did the lizard skin on the inside, get yourself an undercoat gun or use the bedliner gun to spray it on. I bought an undercoat gun. After we complete the paint we're going to be going heavy with body wax to give it an extra line of protection from rust.

My thread https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...-redstang.html

Thank you for the advice! And btw your project is awesome I can't wait to see the final product!

Originally Posted by chip_127
I was just looking at your pictures and was noticing the subframe connectors. Are those home-made, or did you buy them? I really like the way they look and would like to do the same on mine.
They are Tin Man. They fit perfectly with NO modifications whatsoever, great quality and reasonable on price. I highly recommend them to everybody. Here's the link:

http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/ind...d=58/prd58.htm

Last edited by NoReins; 09-16-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoReins
Thank you for the advice! And btw your project is awesome I can't wait to see the final product!

They are Tin Man. They fit perfectly with NO modifications whatsoever, great quality and reasonable on price. I highly recommend them to everybody. Here's the link:

http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/ind...d=58/prd58.htm

I wish I had gone tinman. The spintechs didn't fit so well.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

This thread makes me so excited! Yay~!! You guys are kicking butt!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM
chip_127
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the link! Glad to hear they fit up well without modifications.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:58 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so I have some good news and some bad news. Bad news is, we have had a lot going on and haven't had much time to work on the car - sooo, no new pictures. The good news is... yesterday my father in law took me to an auction that had a 68 fastback J code, along with some other old Ford's. Being the competitive person I am... well... I won the auction and am now welcoming a new pony into the stable- the hub was out of town this weekend so he definitely came home to a surprise. That will teach him to leave me at home alone for a few days! It has power disc brakes, tilt steering, power steering, A/C, fold down seat, auto trans. Here are some pictures:

Last edited by NoReins; 09-26-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I need for you to talk to my wife NoReigns. So I can go out of town for a few days. 8) Great progress hopefully my parts will come in soon and I can update my thread.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:07 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Great news! Looks like a very solid car! Plus it comes with all the extras like A/C, tilt steering (I didn't even know that was an option!), and power brakes and steering! Awesome pick up!

If you don't mind (feel free not to answer), but what (ball park) did you pay for the fastback? I've wondered what a car in that condition would go for at an auction.

Like I said, just wondering, so it's no biggie if you'd rather not tell.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:46 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

sweet project!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:14 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

You ain't got a sister for me.Yeah how much was the car you bought ?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Ha ha 69FB I will talk to your wife and yes andrewmp6 I have a sister but she's in to corvettes!

Well, the purpose of me going to the auction was to steal the car. But that was the intent of everyone else too. I got it at 6,000 and was not going a penny over. I think all in all it was a "good" deal, but certainly not a "steal." However, I had a magnet to check over all the panels - everything felt really good. All of the panels are original, stamped by the ford plant, including taillight, valance, fenders etc. That is cool to me. Plus the options that came on the car were pretty rare, including the tinted glass! I was told that the back windshield alone is worth $2,000. We are working to decode the engine block to see if its the original. We know the intake is correct, won't know about transmission until we get under the car. We aren't sure what we're gonna do with it yet. It may sit for a few years, but you all will be pleased to know that it will go back to original if we do restore it. We are 99% sure it was Lime Gold with the matching Ivy Gold two toned interior. Will order Marti Report eventually.

Last edited by NoReins; 09-27-2010 at 04:31 AM.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback