Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
Put a new Coyote crate motor in that puppy.
Looked into it and i like that engine a lot but im not a fan of the IFS that needs to be put in so that it fits in the engine bay
Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

that's style. shoving a car into a car show, popping the bonnet wide open with no engine in there ... love it :-)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:09 AM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

If I had it to do over again I would still install my driveline before paint. I did this with mine and had no issues at all. The shop that squirted her (in 5 days mind you from drop off to pick up) took great care to mask off everything.

Once it was painted the personal intensity to want to drive it goes through the roof. I'm sure if I had to put the driveline in I would have been rushing to get it done and I would have done some accidental damage. Even if you remove the front fenders and hood after paint, the odds of damaging them in the process of removal, storage and reinstall have got to be higher then the odds of overspray landing on a peice of the drive line.

Lastly, you can always fix overspray on a component (if its chrome, polish it off, if its painted...just repaint it). The same cannot be said for a painted body panel.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:36 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I've been debating what setup to go with in mine. The 408W with the TKO600 is top on my list but I'm leaning more towards EFI now vs. the old carb setup. Really can't beat EFI these days.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:26 AM
makaveli200369

what kind of sealer or primer is that used in the white. Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 06:59 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Alright thanks everyone for your inputs and suggestions. At first I wanted the car painted by this winter and then work on assembling the engine. But you are totally right Tcrote, a lot easier to clean overspray on a component versus repainting a panel! Plus, I know the paint will really then be the icing on the cake. I think I'll be able to hold out on the paint for a couple more months! To be honest it's probably just as exciting to hear her fired up as it will be to see her in paint.

ZMetal, it would be totally sweet to do the EFI but it's like another 3 grand. At this point we will use that as an upgrade down the road unless Santa is feeling rather generous for Christmas this year hehe.

Makaveli, the primer is White Epoxy from Southern Polyurethanes Inc. (SPI)

Kalli, isn't it though? Such class, I swear. You should have heard the stupid questions like, "how'd you get it here?" -- Umm, I pushed it down the road. How do you think I got it here? lol
Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

now you really have me wanting that Coyote engine, thanks. LOL
question about the suspension. What rear suspension are you putting on and how is it supposed to handle combine with the IFS?
I had made up my mind of going with a TCP front and rear and know that it will handle like its on rails but i havent looked at all at you setup. could you fill me in?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2011, 09:24 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

Default kickdown rod

put a stroker motor in it.

Last edited by stangcoupe1970; 08-28-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rols574
now you really have me wanting that Coyote engine, thanks. LOL
question about the suspension. What rear suspension are you putting on and how is it supposed to handle combine with the IFS?
I had made up my mind of going with a TCP front and rear and know that it will handle like its on rails but i havent looked at all at you setup. could you fill me in?
Thanks
I can't tell if you are asking me this question or Heavy-Dee. If your question was directed towards me, we went with the Rod and Custom Front suspension and the Heidt's 4 link in the rear. Originally we were going to go with the TCP front end, but that was before I saw a couple cars with the shock tower delete and I knew right away that's what I wanted to do. I think it really cleans up the look of the engine bay and leaves a lot of room for engine upgrades down the road. A lot of people don't like how much room it leaves, but if you are ever thinking about installing a coyote or 4.6 or other mod motor in the future, I would strongly recommend installing a front suspension that eliminates the shock towers.

Anyways, we've taken a couple weeks off from working on the car and have just now gotten back to it. We ran into a little issue that I'd like to share so that everyone can learn the lesson that we did First off, The white EPOXY primer on the car is from Southern Polyurethanes Inc (SPI). The black EPOXY primer that we used only on the dash and the insides of the doors is some inexpensive brand that we bought from our local auto part store. Knowing that we were taking the car to the car show, Epoxy primer is the only primer we've used on the car so far since Epoxy is resistant to water and moisture. And living in Ohio, we always anticipate rain in the forecast. Sooo what do ya know, it rained on the way home. When we got back to the car the other day ... talk about battle of the rust on the doors and dash; the areas where we sprayed the Black Epoxy. Arrrgh! We had to spend an entire day stripping the inner doors, the entire dash, and then re spray with SPI EPOXY. The black epoxy on the doors had allowed rust to form not only in the cracks but on the open areas where it was heavily layed on!! Same with the dash. So please, take it from our experience and realize that not all epoxy primers are created equal. After seeing how good the rest of the metal looked that was in the white SPI epoxy, and then seeing the doors and dash with spots of orange everywhere, we will forever be hesistant to use anything other than SPI's products! Hope this can help someone.

Stripped Doors:

Sprayed White Epoxy from Southern Polyurethanes Inc:

Last edited by NoReins; 09-08-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:17 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

NoReins, thanks for the heads up on the primers, definitely info worth having. You've been working with a grey primer prior to the white, was it an EPOXY primer as well, just sealer, or is it a standard hi-build primer?

As always, awesome build Its damn near an instruction book.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback