Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:15 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Alright so here is the update. We found a painter, after quite a long search. I have definitely learned a lot over the past few months about paint jobs, and painters. I won't get in to all, I'll just say that the one that we are going with is located in Florida. Yikes! But good for us, we are in Florida very often, as many family members live there. We plan to transport the car there ourselves at the end of this month (October). We will get the bodywork done as much as possible ourselves, but since Ohio's Novembers aren't exactly prime for doing much bodywork in a not heated building, we are a little pressed for time. The painter will finish what we can't get done, do the final 2blocks or so, and then shoot the paint. I'm very excited and quite relieved to have a plan. As far as the engine is concerned, it is on hold untill the car comes back. Anyways, here is what we've acheived the past few days:

Both fenders are officially done on our part. Again, no 2k has been used, only SPI epoxy and Evercoat Slick Sand which is a polyester primer. We seal the polyester with black SPI epoxy:

Ready to be sprayed with the final coat of epoxy:

Showing how nice the SPI epoxy lays down:

Passenger fender:

Just because my new camera can take these kind of pictures now, I love this stuff

Phewww, that was a lot of work!

Aaron has been sanding the car, he's almost done and then it will be ready for another coat of Slick Sand.

Last edited by NoReins; 10-16-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Lookin' good!!! Once again, I'm officially jealous! I finally started moving along on mine again and I'm planning on my first round of primer on my engine bay tomorrow...I wish I was at your stage! Glad you found a reputable painter, luckily I'm my own and I have a few freinds who are local PPG reps who I've learned a lot from in the last several years playing around at their local training center here in CT. A good paint job could easily make or break a project, and after all the hard work you guys have put in, it'll be worth transporting the car to someplace that really knows what they're doing. You guys should put together a web site. I just did one through a web hosting company called weebly.com. It's free as long as you don't care about having .weebly as part of your web address. You guys certainly have enough very high quality material to put out there for others to see, and the site is very simple to use and publish a site. Mine is here: http://callahandesigns.weebly.com check it out if you're board and consider one yourselves...
As always, keep it up, you're almost there!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Can't wait for you guys to be done to move to Tampa, to help with mine! haha
Old 10-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Mr Snake

Great thread and build! I forget how much work it was once the car's done.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM
BenM

This is an exciting point for your build. I'm not talented enough to do the body and paint on my 66 coupe, but it should be in sealer by today at the paint shop. This is a fun thread to watch.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

NoReigns what color have you chosen to paint it or have you not decided on the color combo yet? I am sure where you are living now this will be a summer/cruise season car unless you decide to move to Florida on a whim.

Progress on your project is awesome. The best part of this build is even with the pace you two are setting you are not cutting corners and doing an amazing job.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:45 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thank you guys. Computers been down for awhile so sorry for lack of updates. I'll try to post some pictures sometime today. She's almost ready for the long trip to Fl. 69fb, she'll be pepper grey with black stripes. Trust me I've tried hard to go with a different color combo but at the end of the day Eleanor was only one color, so that's what she'll be! I'm kinda exciteddddd!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

I forgot to say who was painting the car in case anyone was curious. Here is his website www.gillisrestorations.com.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:17 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I was going to ask who was doing the paint job.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:13 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Ok I promised some pictures so here they are. Tomorrow she's on the road for paint. It's hard to believe the time has finally come. It's been quite the journey at this point. The support and encouragement has been incredible from you all. A big thanks for everything! Hopefully I'll have some exciting updates once we see some color. In the meantime, I'm really gonna miss the ol' girl I'm sure it won't be too long till we'll start on the other one to keep us occupied!

Last edited by NoReins; 10-26-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback