Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:14 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoReins
Does anyone know if this is a folddown seat? These are the only seat parts that came with the car. The back folds down, I just don't know if it's a "folddown". I'm hoping it is and I can scrounge up the remaining parts.
That is the standard, non-fold seat. All of the parts you'd need for that can be found easily, except the package tray support, and with your mad skills, you could easily make one:

Old 10-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Ya know I have never actually seen a non-fold down seat in a fastback...makes me wanna say keep it!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Dang 2+2GT you know a lot about everything. You are very helpful to everyone. My husband loves the diagram and says thank you! Not sure yet if we are going to go that route or just leave it how it is...Thank you again.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Dang 2+2GT you know a lot about everything. You are very helpful to everyone. My husband loves the diagram and says thank you! Not sure yet if we are going to go that route or just leave it how it is...Thank you again.
The non-fold, properly done, would be a real treat at a show. Here's an original non-fold, photographed from inside the car.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:45 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Just curious 2+2GT, why do you think it would be a treat at a show? Aren't the fold downs more desirable or are you saying that because there are so many fold downs vs non-folddowns it would it some way be different, or rare. Just wondering because I have never thought of it that way...

Ours should look just like that picture when everything is put back...
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

About half of the 67-68 fastbacks came with the standard non-fold seat, but you'd never know that to look around at car shows. Between the OEM fold cars, the well-converted ones, and half-a**ed conversions, it's a very rare day you actually see a proper non-fold car.

One problem with non-fold cars is sooner or later somebody who doesn't know what they are looking at sees that plywood screwed to the floor behind the seat and throws it away. You can get die-cut package trays for them, but you'll need to make the support.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 10-22-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:30 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

We have accomplished a lot the past week, I am very excited.We ordered our cowl patches this week from Mustangs Unlimited. They fit like crap and were very expensive!! Here is what the lower cowl looked like...

yikes!

We blasted the inside of the dash the best we could while we had a good angle at it, and then used chassis saver.

I cleaned the metal up while Aaron continued to cut the other side and prepare to begin welding.

Painted the back sides:

All welded up. We didn't drill nearly as many spot welds as Ford did because.. well... we and didn't think it was necessary...

Both sides done:

We decided to use chassis black for the first coat. Since we like the U-pol Raptor so much we think we are going to use it as the final for both lower and upper cowls before welding the upper cowl on...

Last edited by NoReins; 10-23-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Gun Jam

Looks good but Im not sure the bed liner would be the best bet for inside the cowl. I would think a very smooth surface would be ideal to allow dirt and water to shed rapidly without collection. I would think the textured surface of the bed liner would hold onto water and sand / dirt much better than a smooth surface would.

Just a thought.

-Gun
Old 10-23-2010, 04:38 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

All welded up. We didn't drill nearly as many spot welds as Ford did because.. well... we and didn't think it was necessary...
It is necessary. The cowl is a huge, structural torque box that joins the two sides of the car together. You thought maybe Ford engineers specified 154 spot welds just to run up the electric bill?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Looks good but Im not sure the bed liner would be the best bet for inside the cowl. I would think a very smooth surface would be ideal to allow dirt and water to shed rapidly without collection. I would think the textured surface of the bed liner would hold onto water and sand / dirt much better than a smooth surface would.

Just a thought.

-Gun
You are right, what do you suggest we use?? Basecoat/clearcoat?

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
It is necessary. The cowl is a huge, structural torque box that joins the two sides of the car together. You thought maybe Ford engineers specified 154 spot welds just to run up the electric bill?
Ok I'll add more tomorrow - Ford engineers thought it necessary to 154 spot welds yes (it felt like more when I drilled those sons of B's out), but did they think of ANY type of rust preventative measure... arghh..

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback