Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 05:53 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Great going, the end feeling is well worth the wait. Sold mine a few months ago but have acquired another shell and body kit. Now to start all over again LOL.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by racer_dave
Then it's time to update the avatar pic... A question I didn't see covered in your build- whose wiring harness did you use? would you use the same one again or a diffierent brand? pros/cons?
The harness we are using is the AAW kit. We have been very happy with it. It is quite a bit of work to route the wires and crimp the ends on but overall, the directions are great and the technical support has been very good also. It is a high quality product. We ended up buying their crimping tools as we could not find a suitable substitute to crimp the supplied ends correctly. The crimpers were something like $70/each, but now we have them for the next project.

Originally Posted by 67 evil eleanor
Great going, the end feeling is well worth the wait. Sold mine a few months ago but have acquired another shell and body kit. Now to start all over again LOL.
Thank you Evil, I am sure the second time around will be a breeze for you. Have fun!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

OH, just thought of one thing you may want to check if not too far along. When I done my fuel cap (like yours) I took an original neck and cut and re-welded it so that it would fit under the interior panel. The fit was good however when trying to fuel the car the nozzle doesn't fit well and had to go slow. "If" I would have trimmed the stop on the fuel cap so that it would swing more than 90* I think the nozzle would fit through the tight radius and pumping gas would be easier. Just thought I'd mention this.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Hi, so I was reading through the rules for a different sanctioning body (Non-NA$CAR) that I might run next year. In their rules, for Ford motors it states they can run an external oil pump if the pickup is still in the pan due to the front oil pump location on Ford engines and its interference with the majority of circle track race chassis. As soon as I read it I thought of you and the fitment issues you guys were having.

So I looked around and it looks like Moroso, Canton and Milodon all have a Ford pan for external pumps with an internal pickup and no hump at the front of the pan. This wouldn’t be the same as a dry sump so it doesn’t need the external oil tank those systems have. SCP(Stock car Products), Peterson, Moroso and others make the single stage external pumps to use, the SCP one is adjustable I think. I’m pretty certain this option would resolve the fitment issue you guys are having at the rack/crossmember because there is no hump in the front part of the oil pan, which is where you’re having the issue, right?

From what I can tell, you’d obviously have to find room to hang the oil pump and pulley/bracket on the engine and maybe change a pulley, I think you have to block off the oil passage where the pump would have been, and you’d have to go to a remote oil filter setup as well. So it would be some work, but nothing too bad. It looked like cost would be about $900 if you had to buy everything, if you can use an existing pan and just add the pickup tube then that would take a couple hundred off the bill.

Anyway, this might be what you need to get the engine low enough to get that supercharger put back on and get rolling.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:57 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. We've been out of this project for awhile. Don't think for a minute she doesn't steal my heart every time I go out to the garage We are in the mentality of getting back at it very soon. Race Dave, I appreciate the time and thoughts you provided on our situation. I think at this point we want to just start over, do something we know (I hope at least haha) will work and try to make up some of the cost by selling what we have. So, if anyone wants a 351w all set up and ready for a S/C, let me know. She had her first photo shoot and worked the runway like a champ. I knew she would

Name:  DSC_3994_zpsf7ac9200.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  1.42 MB

Name:  DSC_4001_zps8e7cbab0.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  1.39 MB

Name:  DSC_4059_zps80f05674.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  2.13 MB

Name:  DSC_4010_zps06964a1e.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  2.20 MB
Old 08-27-2014, 07:50 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Damn that is one sweet car. Well done so far!! I have severe car envy :-) As soon as I get done with my daughter's Mustang I'll have to get to work on mine.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Roystang

Looks fantastic, a natural born supermodel!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys! So, funny thing...one of Mustangs to Fear's customers asked if I would take some up close shots of our upper scoops because he likes how we opened them up to make them functional. He showed the owner of Mustangs to Fear (and builder) the scoop pictures and the owner's response was, and I quote ... "You can see how nasty it looks on the inside." I'm guessing that wasn't meant to be a compliment, lol. Especially considering most of our body kit came from Mustangs to Fear and he knows it...real professional if you ask me.

Last edited by NoReins; 08-29-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:00 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I have missed reading all the updates to your project. I am so sorry to hear about your engine troubles. My project has slowed due to funds but trying to get it back together just so I can drive it. Had a new addition to the family that does not sit on four tires and he's taking up most of my time.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Oh and I love the backdrop for the photo shoot with the drive and fence. I also like your shop and your other decorations in your shop.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback