Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Looking great wish I had the time money and talent to play like that!

As far as cameras. If you are looking for a great point and shoot. Nikon s9100 is the way to go. I've taken some high quality photos with it.

If you are looking for a DSLR, then I'd get a used Nikon D5000, new are expensive still.

I took these on our last cruise with the Nikon S9100...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Boozshey/Photography/cruise/?albumview=slideshow

Last edited by Boozshey; 10-02-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys! And good morning, Gigger lol.

69FB I looked up that camera and kept coming across the ZS series (ZS5/7/8/10) I'm assuming these are the same or maybe it is the latest model?

Boozshey thank you also. The pictures from your cruise are incredible! I like both of your suggestions as we are looking for a good point and shoot camera that performs very well in low-light conditions. In addition to the suggestions you all have made we are considering the Canon S95. I'll hopefully have more progress of the car soon. It's getting cold here fast so we need to get moving!

Last edited by NoReins; 10-03-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by NoReins
Ok, ok, ok, I'll give you an update but it's not too exciting. We've been working really hard on the final bodywork before the car gets painted. Our potential painter has given us really good information on how to get the panels as straight as possible. Our plan is to get the bodywork as good as we possibly can ourselves, and then have the painter do the final 2 blocks on the whole car, then paint. I would have liked to have just handed the car over to him while it was put together, all white; but by us taking it as far as possible we will hopefully save a few greenbacks.

We sprayed the entire car in Black SPI Epoxy, over the White SPI Epoxy:

Then Aaron blocked the whole body with 180. The black and white contrast makes it easy to see the high and low spots. White being the high spots, black being the low. He then used a light weight filler on the areas that were noticeably low.

This is how the body sits right now:

We took all of the panels off the car and are working on them seperately. It is less overwhelming this way.

While Aaron works on the body, I've been working on the doors. Here is the process that we will follow on each and every panel:

Spray with Black SPI Epoxy:

Block with 180:

Fill low spots:

2 more coats of Black SPI Epoxy:

2 coats of Evercoat Slick Sand. Slick Sand is a polyester primer that is like a liquid filler. By using the Slick Sand before the 2K, it will help prevent any shrinkage in the filler and primer.

Then I blocked it with 80:

Then I sprayed 2 more coats of Black SPI Epoxy:

Then I wasn't happy with it so I did it all over again. I don't have any pictures of what the final doors look like, but I will take some today and update you again.

Now we are working on the fenders. The process is the same:

2 Coats Slick Sand:

Today we will Block the Fender and hopefully get the body ready for another 2 coats of Black SPI Epoxy. Lots of work to do!!

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on cameras, please let me know. All of our cameras are terrible and we are looking to buy a new one. Thanks!
I did something similar to this with my 67 and I do have to say it sucked. But it is well worth it in the end.

Its looking good!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 AM
Gigger

The Mustang looked classy in white, Good Tuesday Morning MF
Old 10-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Gigger

Happy Hump Day MF, keep up the great work
Old 10-06-2011, 03:11 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

No Reigns, yes those are the previous models. I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 and love it. First camera I have had that if it broke today I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. The Canon line is always a great choice I have found that the Panasonic Lumix line is very easy to use, has a great zoom lens (16X optical) with the new models and uses a Leica lens which is one of the best in the world.

On a mustang note the new Modified Mustangs and Fords has two different articles on the Eleanor based kits. I thought you'd be interested.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:34 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Awesome job. That is going to be one dead-nuts sexy car.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:42 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys. And Thanks 69FB for your help and advice on the cameras. I will definitely check out that magazine, too.

Well, no more fuzzy picturesssssss.

Aaron re-masked the car this week to get ready for more body work. I won't help with this, it's a terrible job and I just won't do it.

I sprayed one more coat of Black SPI Epoxy.

Then a couple hours later I sprayed 2 coats of Slick Sand. We're running a little low on warm days. Metal temp was around 76 degrees.

Camera has a black/white feature which is so coooool.

The doors are ready for more Epoxy.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Awesome. The camera also has an HDR mode, but only two frames.

Glad their are no more excuses for pictures though.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM
ponyboychris

Looks Awesome. I finally was able to catch up to all the pages of this thread.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback