Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Third Brake Light Opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 AM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

I have been wanting a third brake light. I think I just found a good one that isn't too noticeable during the day and lights up nicely, besides for less than $5 its great. I was thinking of installing it in the bottom of the windshield and would help to hide the wiring easier.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I too used to be interested in a 3rd light, drivers here suck, especially in a town full of college students that don't seem to have a care in the world.

I think the mod looks good, I think you should go for it and tuck those wires. I got 5x brighter LED tail lights for my car (like a lot of others here) and while I do feel safer with them, I'm not sure if tall trucks and SUVs can even see my lights well. They are looking straight, but my lights are 5 feet down. Also, it seems everyone with tall trucks and SUV drivers in my town seem to be those same college students...
Old 07-26-2010, 03:12 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Hey I resent this generalization of college students! Im a 20 year old student at UCSC and I too notice that drivers in my area suck. And yes the majority of which are probably college students. However, I am 100% sure that I am one of the safest drivers on the road when I am driving. I never go more than +5 speed limit (unless I am on a deserted road), do NOT tailgate ever, dont hit my brakes hard, always use turn signals, etc. Maybe its because I have put hard work into my car, and I know how catastrophic an accident could be ( to car,wallet, others, or myself), or maybe I am just the exception to the rule, but don't generalize!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Oh and how could I forget, I dont text or talk on the phone while driving either
Old 07-26-2010, 03:34 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I just bought and paid for a set for my fastback. Thanks for posting a link to the ebay store. They look good on your car. I like my original look but also leaning towards safety seeing that mine is a daily driver.

James
Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Ok so I have decided to install it with some quick disconnects incase I ever need to remove it in under 10 minutes.

Headliner does not need to be removed just one side of that beam

I will be drawing the power from the trunk the hot wire when brake pedal is depressed

The quick connect/disconnects will be attached right here under this beam which has plenty of space since it is lipped to place those connects. Wiring will follow under there then go behind the vent part and meet up with the other wiring that goes along the rear quarter.

For $3.20 you can have a third brake light that can easily be removed in under 10 minutes for car shows or just showing off your mustang to hard car original guys. I like the idea that the light will be held up with nothing more than tape.

As you can see my phone camera sucks but I will try to get some pictures of the wire hidden I will paint the half inch exposed black so it is less noticeable.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I think the idea of added safety of a third brake light is a good idea. I just don't think it looks right. Thats why I went with brighter sequential tail lights. That one you have would look better if it didn't have gaps between the LEDs.

I'm not sure that the tape is going to hold it very well. What type of tape?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

I just purchased the 6 LED Blue B9s for my instrument cluster (6 LEDs each) from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.com. They fit perfect in th cluster and I love the color, they will not fit in the shifter with the lens reducer, so I am going to get the 4 LED B9s and see if that one will. Very Good prices, much cheaper than the kits some catalog dealers offer. Plus they are a direct replacement (plug in B9 Bulbs, no mods).
Anyhow, they have the LED tape strips and Bar LEDS specific for the purpose you guys are talking about. Just about any configuration you can think of.
I also have a 25 led bar, 8" long that I want to use for a 3rd tail-light. Has 2 intensities, one for running lights and the second/brighter for the brake light. I thought about wiring it direct through the trunk wires, but I believe on my car it turns it into a flashing light if I hit the turn signals.(I may be wrong) I think it would confuse others and may not be legal. The only way around this and make it work correctly would be to wire it directly to the stoplight switch, before it enters the turn signal circuit. Just need to run one wire if you use the car's negative ground (could easily follow the existing trunk wire's path from under the dash.). I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
(not compensated by company listed Just a happy customer.)
Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Nice, tasteful mod. I agree with most people though about how effective it will be, what did thumpin 455 say something along the lines of "if you can fog a mirror in the US you can get a drivers permit". Mind you the dutch aren't much better as some one rear ended by Subaru yesterday in a car park luckly no real damage.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:51 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Hey guys so I ran a wire back from the brake switch like MetalEd said took about 10 minutes. Got the wiring all done but wanted to try to hide it a little more so I put a layer of tint over the led strip and then cut out squares where the LEDs are located. Here is what it looks like I'll get some pics of the final installment.

Without Tint (from seller page):

With Tint:

I'm going to use 3M double sided tape as of right now if that doesn't work then just a thin layer of silicone since I can peal that off pretty easily if I want to remove it.

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light Opinions...