Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

burlap with wires for seats.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Default burlap with wires for seats.

MY seats are worn through the covers, foam and burlap. The springs are showing through on the driver seat bottom. I purchased new covers, burlap and foam (hog rings and pliers), but as I have removed the cover and foam... I notice that the burlap is sewn at the top and bottom with wires woven through the burlap and each ends in the sewn areas. The wires in this burlap and the burlap itself are broken/torn leaving big holes with no support.
I have a couple books with discussions on mustang upholstery and they do not mention the burlap. Can't find any information on these wires or replacing the burlap. Were they obsolete on later years (mine is a 64.5), so that is why I can't find anything on them? Do the seats need to have this burlap with the wires woven and sewn into them?
The burlap is in bad shape, just crumbling the more I touch it. So I am sure I need to replace it. Is there a custom sewn one for the mustang that I have not found (looked at most online Mustang dealers). Are there instructions for replacing the burlap sections correctly?
Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Tomahawk715
1st Gear Member

Your talking about the burlap between the springs and the foam?? Yes you need it. It keeps the wire from cutting thru the foam. Wire is to attach the burlap to the springs. You could roll it and sew it in but dont know that you need to.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:59 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tomahawk715
Your talking about the burlap between the springs and the foam?? Yes you need it. It keeps the wire from cutting thru the foam. Wire is to attach the burlap to the springs. You could roll it and sew it in but dont know that you need to.
Not the listing wire. The passenger (back rest) seat has 13-14 of these wires. They run vertical almost the length of the backrest (seat bottoms have the same configuration.) They run in the opposite direction, across the seat springs and do not attach to the springs themselves. There is a pocket at the top and bottom of the burlap that is sewn in to hold the end of the wires. The end of the wires only have a loop that is inside this burlap pocket. The pocket holds the loops and prevents them from moving out of the burlap. They snake in and out of the burlap. Not the springs. Kinda like they prevent the burlap from stretching and allowing it to tear. which would allow the foam to go between the seat springs.
The burlap itself is attached to the seat with metal tabs bent up from the seat frame itself as well as hog-rings. (original seats starting with C4Z8 (1963)) I'll take a photo of the wires first thing in the morning. Front and rear seats have dozens of these wires in backrests and bottoms (front buckets, rear bench.)