Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Advice needed on 67 Mustang

Old 09-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

So I found an engine from a 1968 Ford Bronco, a 289 2V to be exact. I am picking it up for $150 and the guy is gonna deliver it too!!! I will probably end up going with an AOD transmission now, which I haven't found yet.

I wanted to give an update. As for the rest of the car, I have been spending my time organizing and trying to figure out what the parts are from what came with the car.

I have 2 extra doors, anyone have any clue what they might sell for?

More pictures to come, maybe someone can help me identify some of these extra parts.

Oh I had one other question, the original interior is still on the seats. The car came with a whole new set from MustangsUnlimited. Should I just throw away the old interior or see if I could sell it?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:51 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

The old interior is most likely not worth selling. As for the doors, are they better than the doors on the car?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
The old interior is most likely not worth selling. As for the doors, are they better than the doors on the car?
The doors that are on the car are in perfect shape, where as the others are in decent shape.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novice-Owner-Marc
I will probably end up going with an AOD transmission now, which I haven't found yet.
As soon as I hear "AOD", the first thing that I'll mention is that you'll need to get and adjust a throttle valve (TV) cable. You won't be able to use the 1960's-era kickdown rod. And the TV cable has to get absolute priority over occupying the space down near the tranny. This means that some headers cannot be used, and you might end up with a slightly custom exhaust even if you keep the iron exhaust manifolds. A missing or badly adjusted TV cable will leave you with a burned-up AOD inside of a couple hundred miles.

I'm not trying to scare you away from the AOD, as it's a nice enough swap into the early cars if it's an automatic that you want, and it's not all that hard to adjust. I swapped one into my daughter's '66 some years back with no problems either doing the swap or with its reliability afterward. Though I did use the mid-80's engine that it was bolted up to.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-10-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
As soon as I hear "AOD", the first thing that I'll mention is that you'll need to get and adjust a throttle valve (TV) cable. You won't be able to use the 1960's-era kickdown rod. And the TV cable has to get absolute priority over occupying the space down near the tranny. This means that some headers cannot be used, and you might end up with a slightly custom exhaust even if you keep the iron exhaust manifolds. A missing or badly adjusted TV cable will leave you with a burned-up AOD inside of a couple hundred miles.

I'm not trying to scare you away from the AOD, as it's a nice enough swap into the early cars if it's an automatic that you want, and it's not all that hard to adjust. I swapped one into my daughter's '66 some years back with no problems either doing the swap or with its reliability afterward. Though I did use the mid-80's engine that it was bolted up to.

Norm
Since my car doesn't have a transmission, what do you recommend?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I strongly recommend that whatever you decide to go with - manual or automatic - have at least one overdrive gear. The reasoning is that you can use axle gears that are better for acceleration in the first three or four gears and still have a gear (or two) left to drop into for relaxed cruising. It's about as close to being a "best of both worlds" choice as any automotive related choice you'll ever make.

But that first really basic choice is your call. Deciding on which tranny type that YOU want, need, or can comfortably live with has to come first.

On the manual side, you have the T5 for the smaller CID engines for most purposes except perhaps drag racing, and Tremec TKO's and T56's for more potent combinations and harsher use. You might be able to find a Tremec 3550 (kind of the predecessor to the TKOs and now out of production) which has strength somewhere between the T5 and the TKO 500. For automatics, the AOD is almost certainly the better choice between it and the electronic AODE or anything newer.

Norm
Old 09-11-2010, 09:21 PM
beneftz

I just bought a TKO 600 5 speed set up from Gray at American Powertrain. He was awesome to work with and very knowlegeable. I am in the midst of a complete restoration with my 1967. We stroked a 289 to 347.
www.americanpowertrain.com

Best of luck!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
lift the car in the back so that both wheels can turn
turn one wheel as if the car were driving forward while holding the 3rd member in place so that doesn't turn). what is the other wheel doing. driving forward or driving backward? then lower the car on one side (or lock one of the wheels) and turn one wheel until the 3rdmember did exactly one revolution. how many tire turns do you need for that to happen?
Hello all,

I finally got enough of the garage around the car cleaned out of "un-needed" stuff so that I can try this. I need a little help though. Can anyone explain what he means by 3rd Member? I have no idea what he means.

Thanks in advance. I will be posting the floor pictures soon.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Can anyone help me determine what these parts are?

Last edited by Novice-Owner-Marc; 09-26-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Resized the pictures.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:43 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Hmmm, maybe its my browser (firefox) or my internet connection but I can only see the first two pictures.

The first one is definitely a harness probably to the tail lights, parking lights, license plate, gas tank, etc....

Not sure on the second one. It looks like a socket for a bulb. Maybe a gauge light or something else.

Like I said, I can't see the rest of the pics, wish I could help though...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice needed on 67 Mustang