Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Advice needed on 67 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

So here is the latest of my roof.

So with the purchase of a new Wire Wheel, and you can see how I made some headway.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:04 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Great progress!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

More roof pictures.... about 25% complete now that I look at things.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:28 AM
rpm_carter
1st Gear Member

I didn't see any other post yet on the roof condition so here goes. You're doing the right thing, take your time and sand that puppy really good. Due to its prior condition you need to go to eastwood or my preference...

http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/

and make sure your sealing inside those hard to get areas. Ounce of prevention. I used this stuff on my 65 SS Malibu and it was spotless when I finished it. I believe in it, I had some left over in the can, put the lid on and didnt pay attention to some of the residual left around the top. I went back later to open the can...... took a chisel and a hammer to get it open!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

RPM Carter, which actual product did you get from master series coatings? Looks like they have a few.

Great job on the roof Marc! You're really getting it done!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rpm_carter
I didn't see any other post yet on the roof condition so here goes. You're doing the right thing, take your time and sand that puppy really good. Due to its prior condition you need to go to eastwood or my preference...

http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/

and make sure your sealing inside those hard to get areas. Ounce of prevention. I used this stuff on my 65 SS Malibu and it was spotless when I finished it. I believe in it, I had some left over in the can, put the lid on and didnt pay attention to some of the residual left around the top. I went back later to open the can...... took a chisel and a hammer to get it open!!!!!!!
So after I get it all stripped down to the silver, what do I do then? What exact product do people suggest?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Small update .....

Here is what I have been using...

Here are some pictures of what it looks like after I let this stuff sit for a while....

And finally after about 10 minutes with a 3" wire wheel on my drill....
Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 PM
trevorlee02

I'd highly recommend contacting your local machine shop. I got a 302 block for $150 and had it stroked to a 347 for $2k, as far as a tranny, no doubt I would definitely go with at minimum a T5, preferrably a newer one rebuilt, there are several manufacturers that offer these for under 1200. As far as electrical, I went with American Autowire's 'classic update series' for my car! It was the first car that I ever did wiring on, and it came with easy to understand instructions, and it also came with new electrical components, ie: headlight switch, dimmer switch, ignition switch, check it out: http://www.americanautowire.com/67-68mustang.html It only took a few days to install, their tech support was amazing for helping out! Hope this helps!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:50 AM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

Nice work on the roof! Keep it up.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted here, but with a garage like a fridge and upstate NY getting a normal "bury you with over 3 feet so far this year of snow" winter, I have grinded to a halt with my '67 'Stang.

So here is the most recent dilemia I have, and well I would like some feedback from the forums.

I got a 289 that is from a 68 Bronco, which I am told will fit, no problem if I change the oil pan. No biggie there. So that is sitting with the only engine rebuilder in my area for about a 60 mile radius. Well, long story short there, is I gave him the engine in August, and he hasn't even looked at it yet to see how much it would be to rebuild it. SO.... I don't even know how much that will cost.
SO..... a guy posted a 289 from a 65 Falcon the other day on craigslist in my area for $500 firm. Supposedly it was rebuilt a few years ago, and then was pulled not too long after that. Now since not in a car, it hasn't run in years. I have debated about calling this guy and offering $350 if he can deliver it to my garage. Then I could tow my stang and AOD tranny that I got from a '89 'Stang and have my mechanic putting both in.
But here's my issue. I still have the roof to finish. I don't have the electrical in, and I don't have any wiring done yet. So...... Can I put the tranny and engine in if I don't have that done? I would assume yes, but I don't know.

So if anyone has personal feelings, advice, thoughts, or "here's what not to do ya novice" comments, please feel free to write them here. Thanks in the mean time for all your help so far.

Quick Reply: Advice needed on 67 Mustang