Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Advice needed on 67 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

OK update time. I am getting a crate 351W from someone who is willing to trade it for upholstery work done on their 65 Fastback.

That with an AOD from a 1990 Mustang should make it an interesting ride.

With that said, the roof is 60% done and primered. So once I finish the roof which will hopefully be this weekend, should I concentrate on getting the wiring, or gas tank installed and fuel lines run, all done first?
I am thinking fuel lines, but thought I would ask the forums advice/thoughts on the subject.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novice-Owner-Marc
OK update time. I am getting a crate 351W from someone who is willing to trade it for upholstery work done on their 65 Fastback.

That with an AOD from a 1990 Mustang should make it an interesting ride.

With that said, the roof is 60% done and primered. So once I finish the roof which will hopefully be this weekend, should I concentrate on getting the wiring, or gas tank installed and fuel lines run, all done first?
I am thinking fuel lines, but thought I would ask the forums advice/thoughts on the subject.
ARGGHHHH!!! Jealous!!!!
How are your brakes? I would do the brake and fuel lines before getting wiring or a gas tank just yet.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
ARGGHHHH!!! Jealous!!!!
How are your brakes? I would do the brake and fuel lines before getting wiring or a gas tank just yet.
Disc brakes are already on the car. You would put the fuel lines in before the gas tank?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Yeah I'm sure there's not much difference either way really. I mean, the line just runs down the side anyways, and whether you install the tank before or after routing the lines you still have to get under there.
No real difference I guess, your choice.

Funny thing, I've been repairing rust in my rear window area, and I've ducked underneath the tail panel and popped back up through the trunk/gas tank area to get closer to my work area, funny way to work like that.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

OK so update time. Roof DONE!!

And as a reminder here is what the roof looked like before the wire wheel and sore shoulders.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Woohoo! Way to go Marc! It looks great!!!

What primer are you using?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Just some rustoleum spray can. Not the best but gets the job done.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:08 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novice-Owner-Marc
Just some rustoleum spray can. Not the best but gets the job done.
I hear ya. I think its perfectly fine, I plan to do the same with the rest of my interior that I've done with the rustoleum under my cowl.

I understand rattle can may not be enough for a paint job, but for the interior and especially the interior you can't see, I think its just fine.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

So I am attempting to install the oil pan on my 351W and I have a problem (or lack of knowledge).

The gasket that I bought is 4 pieces, which was a dumb move on my part. But I have it, and the oil pan is ready to go on, although...... I can't figure something out.

Here's my oil pan:

Here's the part that goes over the curved middle parts:

So.......since it is smooth on one end, do I put it on the inside of the hump or the outside of the hump that is inside the curved part?
OR do I turn it backwards and make it fit on the hump?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:55 PM
MustangFTW

Funny thing, I've been repairing rust in my rear window area, and I've ducked underneath the tail panel and popped back up through the trunk/gas tank area to get closer to my work area, funny way to work like that.
haha lucky, i had to lay in my trunk and try to redo the wiring for my speakers, whoever redid the wiring really loved electrical tape. and of course my face is a magnet for all the 40 year old crap thats in the trunk lol.

consider wiring before gas tank it will be easier to work on tail lights and speakers.

Quick Reply: Advice needed on 67 Mustang