Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

HELP: Im putting in a edelbrock performer manifold and 4bbl carb for a 289

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Volcom66
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP: Im putting in a edelbrock performer manifold and 4bbl carb for a 289

Ok so here is the deal, I have a 66' with the stock 289 i bought a edelbrock performer manifold and a 4bbl performer carburetor w/auto choke. So...I took out the all the smog stuff that i dont need and so now im sort of stuck i can put on the new manifold but there is a cable running in the middle of the stock one( i think its the temp but im not sure). but its if so i dont know how to put it in the new one....also the new carburetor is a 4bbl with auto choke and the origanal was a 2 and dint have auto so if anyone can help me out and tell me how to put in the temp and how to wire the auto choke that would be awsome! Im sort of new on this so i need all the help i can

Thanks guys
Old 08-11-2005, 08:23 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP: Im putting in a edelbrock performer manifold and 4bbl carb for a 289

First off, [sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forum.
The old intake should have a temp sensor that you can unscrew. Take it out and screw it into the new intake. If not you will need a new one from any number of mustang parts places.
The carb will need a 12vdc power source that is only on when the ignition is on. There should be two connectors on the choke can and one is for power and the other is for ground.

Cheers [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 08-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Volcom66
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP: Im putting in a edelbrock performer manifold and 4bbl carb for a 289

ohhh ok thanks, ohh yeah also i tested the auto choke with a volt testing(well it gives power out), i gave it 12v starting with 2 amps and going up to 55 amps but the motor did not move. mabey it all has to be set up, im not sure... also i took off all the extra smog tubes and the pump i did not need, but sense the car ran on a timed vacume b4 dose it still need to be ran timed ot can it be the continous vac?
thanks 4 ur time
Old 08-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

55 Amps!!!! Did the plastic cover melt??????

OK, so you don't want to try that test again anytime soon. It's not a motor, it is a heater filament spring. As it gets hot it unwinds and releases pressure on the linkage so that the choke butterfly can be drawn open from the air rushing into the carb.

So what happens is, as the thottle is opened the choke butterfly opens and the fast idle cam falls away. And life is good.

You should do a ohm test on this now. If you see infinity on your meter, it means you will probably have to replace the choke cover with the spring.

Wow 55 Amps, that's kind of cool! I'm intested to hear if it survived that test.

BTW: This is definitely not a slam or anything, Honest!. How the heck where you supposed to know that it wasn't a motor. Actually I'm kind of impressed that you thought to test it before just sticking the carb on.

One other word of caution. When you hook up the power wires, do not use the coil positive wire as your source for key on power. It will drastically reduce current available to the coil and the choke will take forever (seems like) to warm up, so you end up fouling plugs.

***Edit*****
The vacuum advance has to be hooked to "ported vacuum". In the instructions for your carb it should tell you which tube is ported vacuum on the carb. Drop a note if it doesn't, and we'll try to help you determin which one is ported vacuum.

Good luck man,