Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Pre Purchase Inspection SE Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 PM
ljrullman

Default Pre Purchase Inspection SE Michigan

I am a newbie to the forum and don't own a classic yet. (Years ago I owned a 1974 II and am nostalgic for a Mustang.) I am toying with taking the plunge for a first generation convertible (e.g. saw a 1967 restored recently I like) but before I fall in love with one I wondered if anyone can give advice about the wisdome of a pre purchase inspection? My gut is that it would be a small price to pay ($150?) for peace of mind. I've seen various companies that do a 150 point check but don't think they do such things as compression checks, and I don't assume they are classic/Mustang experts. I live in Ann Arbor - about 45 min west of Detroit. Any advice about whether this makes sense and does anyone know of a place that does this around here? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:07 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I would see that an inspection is done on any old car I was looking to buy, especially a car in the rust belt.

I can't help much with just who up there, but you need someone who will look the car over for rust and/or shoddy work really well.

Maybe a local M/F classic guy can step up and help you, I can think of at least a couple of qualified folks on the forum near there.

Oh, and WELCOME!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 PM
ljrullman

I agree, I think I will get an inspection. Question though - do you think the typical body/frame/work inspection is enough (which most companies in this business do)? Or, should I find a Ford dealer or classic car garage for a compression check at least also?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:08 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ljrullman
I agree, I think I will get an inspection. Question though - do you think the typical body/frame/work inspection is enough (which most companies in this business do)? Or, should I find a Ford dealer or classic car garage for a compression check at least also?
I am sure the more inspection the better, but as a matter of my opinion, classic Mustangs are simple cars that enjoy an excellent aftermarket support, the parts are very affordable when compared to most (ALL?) classic cars and ALL new cars.

Of primary importance is the body and frame areas, particularly poor repairs that may tend to make a pos car look good.

Rust repair and repairing other peoples bad repairs is where it gets expensive to own a classic Mustang.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Tomahawk715
1st Gear Member

Guy I bought my 72 from does them--last I knew he lived in Canton-So if the vehicle is down in the area I'm sure he could do it. Not sure what he would charge but could look up his info if your interested. PM