Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

car wont start!! now im out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 AM
mustang_garage

Default car wont start!! now im out of ideas

hey all, so here is my situation. i parked my mustang last summer due to an trans oil leak.. well i just finished that project a few weeks ago and then as i went to start my car to experience the satisfaction " as i turned the key" CLICK. nothing more.. i tried it a second time and again click and only one click( kinda like just one initial serge of power)... so i thought its been sitting for a while ill charge the battery and then try it... and again click.. so i took the battery down to auto zone and it was under warrenty so i got a brand new battery. once installed. i turned the key and hear the pleasent sound (CLICK)... next i decided to replace the soleniod... made sure everything went back where they should be.... and then i tried to start it again and click.. so next i tried the starter... bought a new one and installed it and then again tried to start it.. click... at this point im really starting to scratch my head and just for the fun of things i took my old starter which was the one i just removed, i took it down to autozone and they checked the starter and it was fine. it engaged and everything. so now im like holy crap batman what else could it be?

i know the engine isnt frozen cuz when bolting up the torque converter to the flywheel i had to crank it over using a strong arm and it seemed to rotate smoothly
Old 08-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Tomahawk715
1st Gear Member

Did you properly seat the torque convertor?? Try turning the motor by hand now that the trans is back in--bet your gonna find its locked. Convertor is likely wedged between motor and trans--pretty common thing to happen.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Hiya,

i feel sorry for you that you replaced battery, selonoid and starter. could have isolated the issue.
Here's a full article on how to troubleshoot this properly I once wrote. this is one step after another without buying new parts until you know what the problem actually is.

http://www.gascc.ie/index.php?option...y=73&showall=1

go through this and let us know how you get on. the only tools you'll need are are jumpleads and a screwdriver.

If anything is unclear let me know and I'll rephrase

Kalli
Old 08-16-2010, 11:58 PM
mustang_garage

thanks for all your inputs.. turns out i couldnt turn the engine by hand so it was the torque converter.... now that i know what the issue is, my next question is, could there have been any damage done to either trans input shaft or torque converter?? and could the front trans seal have been damaged?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang_garage
thanks for all your inputs.. turns out i couldnt turn the engine by hand so it was the torque converter.... now that i know what the issue is, my next question is, could there have been any damage done to either trans input shaft or torque converter?? and could the front trans seal have been damaged?
Yes it is possible you caused damage, my son did this with his C-4 without implication.

I am guessing you will probably be alright once you get it down inspected and back in if things look ok.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Tomahawk715
1st Gear Member

Dont feel bad--this is a way common issue--Damage Ive seen usually is a cracked pump housing.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:09 AM
mustang_garage

Dont feel bad--this is a way common issue--Damage Ive seen usually is a cracked pump housing.
so if thats what happened then i would need a new tourque converter right?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:58 AM
mustang_garage

ok so i pulled the trans today, i then looked over the torque converter and i didnt see any cranks anywhere, on the outer shell or where the input shaft enters... would i need to pull the torque converter apart to see the crack if it had one? thanks for the help
Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang_garage
ok so i pulled the trans today, i then looked over the torque converter and i didnt see any cranks anywhere, on the outer shell or where the input shaft enters... would i need to pull the torque converter apart to see the crack if it had one? thanks for the help
The crack won't be in the torque converter, it will be in the front of the tranny where the tq plugs in.

If you didn't hear a CRACK! when you installed it wrong and tightened the bolts, you are probably going to be ok on the pump, I would try it first anyway.