Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

WHY WHY WHY ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Angry WHY WHY WHY ???

My engine needs a ring job. Just had new valve stem seals installed but oil is still fouling the plugs. I remember back in the day people had their cylinders honed and over sized rings installed and that took care of the problem. No one wants to do that now. Al I get is either PULL THE EGINE AND GET A NEW ONE, or COMPLETELY REBUILD THE ENGINE WHETHER IT NEEDS IT OR NOT. Why doesn't anyone want to FIX the engine instead of replacing it?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Because for the cost of pulling it apart to re ring it, you're most of the way towards a rebuild. The only thing extra you're really doing in a rebuild is bearings and an oil pump. And for the cost and effort involved in pulling the engine to re ring it, you may as well rebuild it and get something that performs a lot better.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Because for the cost of pulling it apart to re ring it, you're most of the way towards a rebuild. The only thing extra you're really doing in a rebuild is bearings and an oil pump. And for the cost and effort involved in pulling the engine to re ring it, you may as well rebuild it and get something that performs a lot better.
aye. sounds horrible but that's the way it is. parts cheap (rings, bearings, pump). labour expensive: pull engine, disassemble, reassemble and back in
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Parts are alot cheeper now with computer controled CNCs and robotics making most of the parts. Labor is expensive with health care, worker comp and all taxes (fed/state/city) going up WAY faster than "core inflation".
Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

The cost to have the engine removed and put back in will probably be the same, no matter what work is done on it. Problem is that I can't find a one-stop shop that will remove, repair, and install - to me that would be less expensive. Have to get one shop to remove and install, and another shop to repair. Is that common?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Have you done a compression test on all 8 cylinders?

Do it yourself OR shelve the current, assuming original engine, and install another used or rebuilt engine. Used 5.0 HO longblocks are fairly cheap. Find one with less than 150,000 miles and rering it. The performance difference is...wait for it... exciting.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Pull the motor yourself, it is not that hard. I have done a couple when I was 17-18.Throw it in the back of a truck and take it to the shop of your choice to fix it, bring it back, and put it back in yourself. Again I did this when I was 17-18 and I didn't know a thing, but I got it all going. These cars aren't that hard to work on.
Lynn
Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
Pull the motor yourself, it is not that hard. I have done a couple when I was 17-18.Throw it in the back of a truck and take it to the shop of your choice to fix it, bring it back, and put it back in yourself. Again I did this when I was 17-18 and I didn't know a thing, but I got it all going. These cars aren't that hard to work on.
Lynn
^^^ This.

And it's a good way to start introducing yourself to working on your car.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

My machine shop won't hone unless you bring him the pistons so he can properly size it. Doesn't matter if the pistons are new or used. Can't say I blame him since he stands behind his work.

Brand also matters, on a block I'm having done now they have to clearance a little more for the Wiseco pistons I'm using.

Or am I missing something, how are you going to hone without pulling the motor apart?

I agree with the other posts, give it a shot yourself. Its a great way to learn just don't end up like me. I have a list incomplete motors sitting in my garage:
522cu in complete (the motor is together but I need to do a cam swap)
522cu in needs cam, oil pump, oil pan, rockers, intake and carb installed.
351W un-assembled, needs to go out for machining.
302 - machine complete, rotating assembly being balanced before assembly.
289 - out for machining
99 cu in 2 stroke, comes back from machining hopefully tomorrow. Should be able to reassemble on Sat if the gasket set makes it here on time.
49 cu in 2 stroke, needs tuning (this is my favorite motor. Its an 8000rpm screamer)

It's a great way to fill your garage with a bunch of cool stuff

Last edited by mr_velocity; 08-11-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by unit91
My engine needs a ring job. Just had new valve stem seals installed but oil is still fouling the plugs. I remember back in the day people had their cylinders honed and over sized rings installed and that took care of the problem. No one wants to do that now. Al I get is either PULL THE EGINE AND GET A NEW ONE, or COMPLETELY REBUILD THE ENGINE WHETHER IT NEEDS IT OR NOT. Why doesn't anyone want to FIX the engine instead of replacing it?
Because some people will still hold the shop responsible if your diagnosis is incorrect. the way the system works here, you would win,too. I wouldn't want the responsibility. If it's fouling the plugs from a rich condition, it's still going to do it with a new engine. Then customer is mad and wants money back. It happens believe me.