Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

I got my quarters from Laurel Mountain Mustang in PA. They are dynacorn. They fit pretty well, surprisingly. Floor plans are from Northcoast Mustangs out of Ohio. I forget what the brand is but they are thicker than dynacorn. It's cool if you can afford original Ford tooling, but the repro's are not all that bad. Everything requires trimming and some mods, no matter what you go with.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
NoReins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #22
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Mustang fastback

I posted some pictures in the photo gallery here.
http://mustangforums.com/forum/membe...-fastback.html

Hopefully that link will work. Until I get the required posts I can't insert photos here.

Before I start, I was hoping for some do's and don't, and things to watch out for. I got NPD's replacement parts and it looks like I'm going to have to reuse some of the mounting clips that are welded to the floor? That's going to be interesting to try and get them on a new panel and in the right position.
bent metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #23
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 Mustang 2+2GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginator View Post
2+2GT,

Your GT350H is beautiful!
I wish. I have seen the car in person, though, which is why I used it as an example.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 09-30-2010 at 11:33 AM.
2+2GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #24
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

#1 thing I would tell you to do is mock everything up before you weld. When I say everything I mean EVERYTHING. Make sure your panels fit and everything is the way it's supposed to be before the welder comes out. You can use clamps, screws, whatever... Just remember, these parts are going to need work to get them to fit, don't get frustrated - they aren't perfect.

#2 MEASURE EVERYTHING before you start cutting the bad stuff out, use it as a template before cutting it out. Measure, Measure and Measure.

#3 Take your time, if you start replacing one panel and it isn't correct - everything else after will be off.

#4 If I were you I'd start with the transition piece and trunk floor. Mock them up and make sure your gas tank fits before you start welding. Then go to the quarters. Then on to the floor.

These are just my ideas from my experience. Others may have some different ideas.

You can check out my project http://mustangforums.com/forum/class...-fastback.html . I've replaced about every darn panel there is.

Remember, just take your time. It's better to do it right the first time than having to go back and re-do it. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, ask lots of questions along the way and put lots of pics up even if they are on an outside link. Everyone is willing to help! Good luck
Old 09-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #25
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoReins View Post
#1 thing I would tell you to do is mock everything up before you weld.
That's how it's done.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #26
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Ok, in reguards to your #4 that says start with the transition piece? What's that?
My thought on this was to mock everything up, as you said. But start with the quarters, which some one else has already cut out. I think the trunk floor is so weak that I need to have all the outside panels on and looking right before I cut into the floor. Is that wrong? Should I start from inside and work outwards? Or are you saying it doesn't matter where I start, just have everything on the car and looking right before the welding?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #27
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent metal View Post
Ok, in reguards to your #4 that says start with the transition piece? What's that?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #28
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Thanks 2+2GT, that was awesome you put that pic up!

So, as you can see, the transition piece is the part over the axel. Yours looks good enough to be saved. Check with NPD and mustangs unlimited, I know there is a patch panel you can buy to replace where there is some swiss cheese goin on. (This again is the section in front of gas tank) If I were you I would start there. Fit the patch panel and be sure the gas tank fits just right. Weld it and move to one of the sides of the trunk floor. Like I said before, this is MY opinion and others may speak up and give their advice, but I would start from the inside and work my way out. Try to keep what's left of the quarters on, because that will be your guide to how the trunk pieces should fit. Once you have the trunk floors mocked, then I would mock up the quarters, make sure it all fits nicely - then go back and weld the trunk pieces.

Also, don't cut everything out at once, do one panel at a time. Use your gas tank as a guide. If it fits, you are on the right track.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #29
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah, the way I've seen it done, is you remove as little as possible for each repair. I've even seen rear frame rails replaced while leaving the rotten floor, as a dimensional jig, in place. Once the rails are perfectly installed, the floor is replaced. I'd do all the floors, rails, and rockers before moving to the outer sheetmetal. Do the quarters, doors, and fenders in that order. Leave the doors on, perfectly aligned, as a guide for the quarters.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #30
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Thank you all for the advise! At first I didn't understand what the gas tank had to do with anything. Now I see it's actually the bottom of the trunk floor! Wow, that seems crazy to me. But it is what it is. Great advise!

So I'm reading under frequently ask questions and looking at the floor repair, also all of the build links posted here on this thread. All fantastic, and by the way Aaron, your a lucky man. Wish my wife was as interested in what I do in the garage. And an equal partner in the work!

So a few quick questions:
#1. What's a torque box, and do I need one?
#2. If this is basically stock, do I need frame connecters? (By the Tin Man)

I'm sure I'll have more questions and thank you all for taking the time to help me. I'm going to start on Monday, so hopefully I'm ready.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1965, 65, 66, fastback, floolpans, floor, golden, issues, legion, mustang, npd, panel, quarter, repair, rust, trunk