Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 fast back with major rust

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:21 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bent metal
Hello all, I'm new here, and new to Mustangs. I have a '65 Mustang fastback that needs new quarters and a new floor from front to back, the whole thing! I see from reading other threads on here that there are some concerns about fit and thickness of the new replacement panels. Can anyone give me some advice on where I can get good replacement panels?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forums!

First.. regardless of Made in China, Korea, Japan, USA, Canada, etc please understand that damn near EVERY 'new' aftermarket body panel will need to be 'worked' to fit correctly. Just read that again and understand it. Nothing will be unpackaged, placed into position and welded in without some heating, cutting, beating, pounding and lots of cursing. Many parts much more than others. Other things to consider are things like early or late cars in the production year. For example the passenger side toe-board for a 67 differs for cars before March then those cars produced afterwards. The reproduction part best fits the later cars. Early cars have a 3" gap to beat out. I've confirmed this on 2 early and 3 late cars for 67. This doesn't mean its a bad quality crappy item even though your gonna curse it as one when you go to install it!

Now.. the original Ford tooling and USA/Canadian made panels do tend to fit somewhat better, usually made of better??/thicker gauge steel. Regarding original Ford tooling.. these have been used for decades and have worn from their original precision so they are not 100% correct. They are however better than their cheaper versions.

Regarding Scott Drake products.. Their isn't any! Scott Drake is simply a Brand Name. They doesn't make anything. Their products are just re-branded with their name. So buying a Scott Drake product doesn't ensure your buying a better or worse product. Don't be fooled by marketing and a 'name brand'. Brand Names usually have a small percentage of mid/high quality big selling items and the rest is usually the cheapest bidder to fulfill their orders.

If you look at the NPD catalog most of their body/frame parts state the metal gauge and where it was made. This was 1 reason I bought most of the metal from them. I knew what I was getting, the thicker gauge metal made in either Canada or the US. Doesn't mean its always better but I preferred it this way. Note that I'm not saying NPD is the place you need to order from however you at least have a choice and know what your getting.

All that said.. at the end of the day.. whatever you buy can be persuaded, one way or another, to fit.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

And always shop around some parts only one or two companies make.And yes all body parts have to be made fit the car oem or aftermarket.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:55 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Okay, here we go. I'm going to start on this car soon. I have no experience at all with Mustangs, so any advise would be welcomed.

So how do I insert an image? I clicked on the little mountain thingy and it said it wanted the "URL", whatever that is?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Oh dang, I guess I see why. The picture option is not open to me because I'm new. Since I don't know anything about Mustangs, I don't have much to contribute yet. So it's going to take a while for me to get the needed amount of posts, I guess.

This will make four posts. How many do I need?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Just place your images on photobucket, then you can copy the link that photobucket generates right into your post and you will see the pics.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by plainsman1876
Man thats a Beautiful 66 GTH Clone
It's not a clone.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
Could be a door off a Volkswagon and not tell from that distance.
You using an iPhone? That car is 6" long on my laptop. OK, this close enough for you?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Um, Ford used those sheetmetal tools until the corners were gone. Have you ever checked brown and black NOS panels side by side? I'd pay twice as much for the brown ones.

However, the the "original tool" dies have been rehabilitated, with reconstruction of the wear points. While that doesn't make the resulting parts as "original" as, say brown NOS, they are ahead of reproduction parts.

And IIRC, yes, some of Drake's stuff is resale, but I'm pretty sure a lot of it, particularly a lot of nice chrome, is their own stuff.

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/...s.aspx?wid=141

Last edited by 2+2GT; 09-29-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Imaginator

If you do decide to change out your door remember to keep the warranty plate from your original door so your numbers will match if it's the driver door. I'm looking for a fastback project to build too. I'll be new to building my own car but not new to Mustangs.

Tammy
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Imaginator

2+2GT,

Your GT350H is beautiful!

Quick Reply: 1965 fast back with major rust