Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New upholstery questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:46 AM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

Default New upholstery questions

Hi all,
I have ordered new pony drivers side upholstery. I had a bad tear in the seat when I bought the car. There was a good artical in Mustang monthly on how to do it. I noticed other than hog rings I will need upholstery glue and burlap. Does anyone know of a supplier? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thx, Walt
Old 08-14-2005, 12:45 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New upholstery questions

Walt, I dont have advice on installation, but make sure to lay the new cover next to existing. Different runs or vendors can have significant color match differences.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I assume you are talking about replacing the driver's seat cover only. I would advise replacing both the front seat covers to ensure matching colors and texture. Also, get the best hog nose pliers you can buy. After about 10 rings with the cheap ones, your hands will start cramping. Also, before you put the new covers on, put them in the dryer or lay them out in the sun for awhile to soften them up, and have a blow dryer handy when you are installing them. I got my covers from Texas Mustang, but you can get them from most any Mustang supplier. Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2005, 04:03 PM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

Where did you find that place??? I tried to buy a back seat cover ONLY, but no one wants to break up a set as far as I can find. NPD has the pliers, but they only sell complete sets of covers.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:49 PM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

NPD sold me a single bucket seat.
Walt
Old 08-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

For the Burlap and upholstery glue, you should be able to get it through a local upholstery shop on the cheap.

Hey, how'd you make out on mounting your shifter bezel? What did you do to remove the gap?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:26 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

I used the burlap in the seat and I did not need any glue. I installed a complete pony interior into a 1966. I would recommend if there is any rust on the the springs or seat to sand, treat and repaint while you are at. The new seat buns were well worth the money.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:45 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrrhd73must

The new seat buns were well worth the money.

For the effort you are about to put into that seat... speaking from experience... Buy and put NEW seat buns in. You will thank everyone later.

C!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Are seat buns those foam jobbies? I had some old wore out foam stuff with burlap over it in mine, and I replaced it with new foam. Fits my skinny butt just fine........
Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 AM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

3M makes a good spray adhesive. It's called "77". Spray both surfaces. It's a contact cemment so you have to turn the covers inside out and line up the top first. Then roll the cover down over the foam.

Quick Reply: New upholstery questions