Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Choke Stove repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:39 AM
AgDelt03

Default Choke Stove repairs?

Has anyone had experience making repairs to a choke stove/choke tube?

Working on getting a 1969 302 up and running again and know that this task is easier with the manifold removed, but would like to make what repairs I can so I can relocate the car to a more practical location before I start to dismantle it.

The hot air tube to the threaded inlet on the carburetor seems to have broken off from the top of the choke stove on the passenger side of the exhaust manifold. I know there are various kits and replacement tubes, but want some input on the simplest and most immediately effective fix. I have no plans to install a manual choke.

Try and drill out the top hole? Jut plug the holes on the carb and see if it warms up after awhile?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:09 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AgDelt03
Has anyone had experience making repairs to a choke stove/choke tube?

Working on getting a 1969 302 up and running again and know that this task is easier with the manifold removed, but would like to make what repairs I can so I can relocate the car to a more practical location before I start to dismantle it.

The hot air tube to the threaded inlet on the carburetor seems to have broken off from the top of the choke stove on the passenger side of the exhaust manifold. I know there are various kits and replacement tubes, but want some input on the simplest and most immediately effective fix. I have no plans to install a manual choke.

Try and drill out the top hole? Jut plug the holes on the carb and see if it warms up after awhile?
It'll never warm up by itself. Drill the stump of the old tubes out with a 1/4" drill. If you use a long one, or a drill extension, you can get to the lower hole with the drill next to the alternator.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:29 PM
carguysx2

I just bought a choke stove repair kit from Auto Zone online. It is made in Thaiwan and has no instructions. Not that many parts, and sure it's not "rocket science", but not self explanatory either! One thing that really confuses me is that it contains an inch long alum rounded piece that is smaller at one end than the other and it is solid, not hollow! And I cannot figure how any of it attaches to the housing piece that clamps to the exhaust pipe or manifold (I have hi-po manifolds and no hole for the heater pipe). Can any one help with this? A pic of the kit contents can be seen for this part 55111 at:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=426073

Many thanks!

Last edited by carguysx2; 11-12-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:46 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

It's a generic set of adapters. You're not supposed to use them all. My guess on your pin is it's meant as a plug, to be hammered into a hole you don't even have. The stove clamps to the exhaust pipe, and the tube sticks into the hole, and connects to the choke.