I just emailed this to one of my buddies and figured I would just post it in case anyone was wondering.
The AOD was a great deal and swap. I found a 93 5.0 motor/transmission on craigslist for $300, the guy told me it came out of a good donor car that they wanted just for the body to swap in a built up 5.0 and t-5 from a wrecked car. So I picked it up hoping that he was not pulling my leg about it running good.
Got them home and separated the two and put the motor back on craigslist for $350 (Free transmission and $50 for me). All I had to do was pick up a crossmember, throttle cable bracket, throttle valve adapter, and cable for my holley carburetor and get the correct u-joint to mate the original AOD yoke with my driveshaft.
The FMX and AOD are pretty much the same size, they also use the same gear ratios for 1-3, they just mount in different positions. So I got a ron morris crossmember (should have went with something else, or made my own) it’s a poor design and didn’t fit very well.
It was shaped like this: [______] and should be shaped like this: \__/
The arm for the brace comes up about 3 inches in front of my hooker header collector on the drivers side. Which meant altering my exhaust.
I took the original FMX shifter linkage, flipped it around and then ground off the stud that would attach to the original shifter and notched the rod then welded the original bolt that held it to the transmission onto the end of it. Hard to explain but if you need I can find some pictures. Then I spent some time with a vice a hammer and some pliers bending the rod to fit to the new transmission. It really wasn’t that hard to do and $100 cheaper than the special made rod for the conversion using all the original parts.
Once everything felt right and moved smoothly I was home free. The transmission had bolted right up to my 351w, but I did have to change the block plate spacer between the motor and transmission to the 5.0 one. (Which came with the engine) Once everything was bolted in and torqued, I brought my driveshaft in and had a shop mate the new yoke to it with a new u-joint, just because I couldn’t get it myself and got tired of screwing with it. Then ran the trans lines that came with the newer engine through my bay and hooked everything up. The trans lines were a pain, because they weren’t meant to fit my car, but I think I will replace them with some stainless steel braided lines at some point. One does leak a little at the tranny because I think I cross threaded it, so that’s on my to do list.
I didn’t follow the rules on setting my throttle valve pressure with a gauge, I just set it according to one of the write ups that I had read and it seemed to work right so I haven’t messed with it. You set it so that there is a constant tension on the trottle valve and so there is no slack. When you move the throttle the valve should be moving at the same time. A constant pressure valve body is in the works for my car, so that I dont have to worry about burning up the clutches if It ever comes out of adjustment.
I have 3.0 gears in the rear end right now and its so nice to get that car on the freeway and just coast at 75 mph. Plus the wife can still drive it and I can put a shorter gear in the rear, up to 4.11’s and still have it streetable with the overdrive. Ill be putting in some 3.73s and the trac-lock i have waiting in the garage.All in all, I didn’t sleep for a few nights, worried that I would screw up my daily driver, but it came out for the best. A 20 year newer transmission that has never been rebuilt with overdrive in my baby. Hopefully she lasts.
Here are some links to the forums and write ups that really helped me.