Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Power Steering rebuild -69

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 PM
bulan
1st Gear Member

Smile Power Steering rebuild -69

I am going to rebuild my steering and are ordering some new parts from USA (prices are often 3 times higher over here) I am going to change Hoses, Control Valve and Steering Cylinder at the same time but i have 2 questions for you.
1.) Prices vary a lot between different brands and between rebuilt and new parts. It looks like I have an original Control Valve now but a repro Steering cylinder. Do you have any recommendations for me.
2.) Do you know of any special tools needed for the disassembly of the steering e.g.
pullers.
I live in a very, very small place in the mountins of Sweden without any chance to buy parts or getting any help close from here, therefore I will do my best to order everything I will need at the same time and I will appreciate any help from you. Thanks!
Mats Nilsson, Sweden
Ps. I hope you will understand most of my Swenglish language!

Last edited by bulan; 09-25-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Well, you'll need a clamp-style tie rod separator. If you use a "fork" to remove it, you'll destroy the valve.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 AM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bulan
I am going to rebuild my steering and are ordering some new parts from USA (prices are often 3 times higher over here) I am going to change Hoses, Control Valve and Steering Cylinder at the same time but i have 2 questions for you.
1.) Prices vary a lot between different brands and between rebuilt and new parts. It looks like I have an original Control Valve now but a repro Steering cylinder. Do you have any recommendations for me.
2.) Do you know of any special tools needed for the disassembly of the steering e.g.
pullers.
I live in a very, very small place in the mountins of Sweden without any chance to buy parts or getting any help close from here, therefore I will do my best to order everything I will need at the same time and I will appreciate any help from you. Thanks!
Mats Nilsson, Sweden
Ps. I hope you will understand most of my Swenglish language!
Mats,

First thing go to Randy's site and read all the information throughly about the system you are about to rebuild. No way to type all this in the forum here.

http://www.stangerssite.com/steering.html

Next, if a repo cylinder, it is very doubltful the reseal kits out there will fit. The reseal kits are for Bendix cylinders, new repos have slightly different configuarationn in the seals, washers.

If a genuine Bendix control valve, KEEP IT!, buy a new repo, you will buy a Argentina, Poorly Machined piece of junk. Rebuild the Bendix.

Reproduction Edelmann hoses fit fine, we have used these for years, know they fit perfect. Yes, I know Folks have trouble installing some of the aftermarket hoses, and most times, it is not understanding how to install the hoses, not the hoses. Other times it is a made up hose from some unprofessional install, the new one doesn't match the "Old Hose", and they aren't right, heard this a Zillion times.

You can do this, just take you time, read, "TAKE YOU TIME!

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 AM
bulan
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot for the information!!
Mats
Old 09-27-2010, 11:06 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I agree, anything you need to repair a Bendix is available.